Heli coli help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heli coli help

So im putting my oil pan back on my 351 and one of the bolts was messed up, so I went to autozone and bought some heli coils and a tap, the thread on the oil pan bolts is 5/16 so I bought some 5/16 heli coils, the package says use a 21/64 drill bit to drill out the hole which I did, but I cant find anywhere that tells me what size tap to use, anyone on here know??? Trying to get this done tonight

Originally posted by DOHCTR
    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Special size tap usually
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

21/64 drill, and then a 5/16x24 STI tap. They sell a kit that has the inserts, bit, tap, and insertion tool.

Comment

Crap, I knew I should have bought the kit that had the tap in it but I was trying to save some cash

Comment

Originally posted by 4.0x3.48 View Post
          21/64 drill, and then a 5/16x24 STI tap. They sell a kit that has the inserts, bit, tap, and insertion tool.
          I saw the kit but it was like $50 I think, so I jusy picked up a tap set that has like 6 diffrent sizes for like $12 and 5/16 heli coils for $9, guess I'll have to go get the kit instead

Comment

Yea, they're not cheap, but it'll be fixed forever. Helical inserts are good stuff.

Comment

Tap and die sets are like 30 bucks at harbor freight. I'm not positive they have a set that has the needed tap but it's worth a look. Find a 20% off coupon and you'll save some coin and you'll have some other taps of needed.
              1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Keenserts>Helicoil

Comment

The helicoil taps are not standard sizes if I recall correctly. You need a set of helicoil taps or the kit.

Comment

Working...
                  X