Transmission diagnosis/shop recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission diagnosis/shop recommendation

Got a recommendation for a shop that does good work rebuilding 4R75E transmissions?

My 07 F150 FX2 started making some funny noises today. Start up the truck and you can hear a whine that increases in pitch (in park and neutral) -- like it is spinning up, almost like a turbine. Doesn't track with the motor's RPMs. Shut it down, and it takes longer than the motor to spool down. Put it in drive and the noise goes away. Same goes for reverse. Movement is sluggish, but it goes thru all the gears. The normal parking lot speed glide/whirr is louder than it used to be and of a different pitch. Pump? Bearing? TC? Other?

Fluid is full, but there is some evidence of dirtiness on the shop towel. 95k on the clock. I'm guessing a fluid change now is too little too late...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Ruben
    Last edited by Ruben; 09-10-2016, 02:19 PM.

Only making noise while in Park or Neutral would make me think TC. If it was the the pump, it would whine through all gears. A bad bearing will usually change pitch with rpm.

When is the last time you changed the fluid and filter? 95K is too many miles on a 4R70/75 relying solely on the very inefficient factory cooler inside the radiator. The only way I could find to make them reliable in the long run was by installing an external trans cooler. I'm surprised you haven't also had problems with OD torque stutter at this point.

I would start by dropping the pan and look for any shavings or other garbage.

Comment

It has the towing package, so there is an external cooler.
      Never had a filter change. Some fluid was replaced when the radiator was changed out.

There is some pitch change with RPM, but it has to spool up. The goofy part is that you put it in drive or reverse and it all goes away.
      I'm pretty sure the crap in the fluid is metal. It is very fine and looks gray on the blue shop towels...

Any recommendation on a shop?

Thanks for the feedback.

Ruben

Comment

Mike's Trick Shift

And maybe send a PM to greenbullitt He might have more info about this particular problem.

Comment

In my experience when it makes that sound its failure to the forward sun gear/planetary assembly bearing. It will get worse and destroy your direct drum and planetary causing metal contamination. If you drop the pan you should see metal on pan magnet. On 2011-12 econolines they were so bad they extended the warranty coverage to 6yrs 150,000 miles for that failure.

Comment

Those typically have a bearing failure that makes noise. Time for an overhaul.

CN

Comment

Working...
            X