Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible head gasket failure? Pictures inside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible head gasket failure? Pictures inside.

Finally got around to doing the t-belt and waterpump on my buddies 1997 4cyl Toyota Camry. Short back story, he was driving, car died out of nowhere (non interference motor thankfully). Turns out the t-belt is broken and the waterpump is leaking.

Anyway, pulled it all apart and when I yanked the waterpump there is a golden/brown sludge in the pump cavity. My first impression is probably a blown headgasket. I drained the oil and there is no coolant in the oil and my buddy said that the car ran perfect up until it just shut off, never overheat, etc.

I shot an email off to JimD who made the point that it may/may not be the headgasket it, but with these motors if it is, the motor is probably junk anyways (this is the same friend who could not tell me the last time he changed the oil).

Looking at the picture below would you even attempt to put this back together? My buddy is really hard up for cash (hence why I am working on this disgustingly dirty pos for free), so if I can save him the money for a rebuild that would be great. Anyone ever seen anything like this without it being a blown h/g?

Flush the coolant system and roll.

Comment

Yep, looks like some old nasty Toyota coolant. Move along...

Comment

Precisely what I wanted to hear!

On a side note, I had to use the starter to knock the crank bolt out (they want you to use some special toyota tool that I obviously do not have), I tried a few other methods but ended up just putting a cheater bar on it and knocking the starter a few times, it backed it right out.

For those whom might have done this job before, any advice on how to get the 80ft/lbs it is spec'ed for?

Thanks!

Comment

Just impact it down... That's plenty tight. If you don't have an impact, umm... Is it a standard? If so, put it in gear and have someone step on the brakes.

Comment

Impact gun took about 5 seconds to get the crank bolt off.

Comment

no impact at el casa

Comment

oh, and it is an auto

Comment

Smack the dang breaker bar with a hammer, its not that critical. I always put a dab of blue loctite just for the hell of it, but its not required.

Comment

Sounds like a plan, I need to purchase some air for the house (been borrowing my bro-in-laws little pancake compressor when I need it), but if I can't find a deal before next weeken I'll probably just put the plugs back in the motor and smack the shit out of it with a breaker bar (with a little lock-tite)

Comment

Working...
                    X