best plastic glue? (auto interior)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best plastic glue? (auto interior)

I was pulling off a side plate for the dash on my 02 Ram which put a little too much pressure on this thin section and it cracked. Any thoughts on a glue that would hold up? I should be able to wedge something between the door and that panel to make the two pieces come together so drying/cureing time shouldnt be an issue. What have you all had the best experience with? I am tempted to try gorilla glue, but hate the fact that is creates a brownish foam.
    Last edited by TRAXX; 03-17-2011, 07:14 PM.

I hate to say it, but your better off trying to replace it rather than try to glue it. Won't never be right and still very noticeable . Just my .02
    2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
    Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
    Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
    Speedlogix Catch Can
    Resonator Delete

Comment

Dodge truck dashes suck. Sooner or later they all disintegrate.

Comment

Originally posted by TRAXX View Post
        I was pulling off a side plate for the dash on my 02 Ram which put a little too much pressure on this thin section and it cracked. Any thoughts on a glue that would hold up? I should be able to wedge something between the door and that panel to make the two pieces come together so drying/cureing time shouldnt be an issue. What have you all had the best experience with? I am tempted to try gorilla glue, but hate the fact that is creates a brownish foam.
        Gorilla glue would be a bad choice; it expands as it cures.

You might try a thick cyanoacrylate super glue, like Zap-a-gap, or Zap gel. I think you can get those at hobby stores. If you get any excess along the edges of the panel, It cleans up with acetone.
        Men have become the tools of their tools.
        -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Walk into any hobby shop and ask for some CA glue in the purple bottle. It'll never come off or move again.

Comment

They make plastic dash cap for that problem(once they crack it will start cracking all over), I have one on my truck and you cant tell it has one.They are thin and fit tight. I picked it up on ebay for 80 bucks. The company name is Coverlay www.coverlaymfg.com . They have them for many makes and models also door panels. I am putting one on my Cavalier here in a minute, they just glue on(supplied), install time is 5 mins but you might have to paint it for an exact match.

Comment

Working...
            X