Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odometer/trip meter gear replacement (96-98)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odometer/trip meter gear replacement (96-98)

How difficult of a repair is this? What kind of time frame/tools etc?

I've got the same problem with my 97 cobra. Speedo works, odo/trip do not.

Comment

Long-lasting odometer gears for Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles. Worm gear for Mustangs, Explorer, and F-Series pick up trucks. Buy online or by phone.

Its not that hard to do at all. You can do it with basic hand tools in about 30 minutes.

Comment

Its easy to do. The hardest part (still easy) is getting the headlight switch knob off. I've done two of them, takes about 20 minutes.
        sigpic

Comment

Another thing, once you remove the gauge bezel and remove the speedo and gauge clusters, is to be careful of laying it down so that you don't bend the pointers. I did mine at the kitchen table and laid it on a towel. I used a pair of channel lock pliers to turn the speedo motor to get to the gears. You have to be careful not to break the tabs that hold the motor in. Then I used a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the gear and a small screwdriver to get the end tabs out. The worm gear just pulls off. Drop the new gear in and push till it clicks in. Tap the new worm gear on or squeeze it on with channel locks and you're good to go.
          Last edited by johnboy; 02-11-2011, 08:14 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy View Post
              Another thing, once you remove the gauge bezel and remove the speedo and gauge clusters, is to be careful of laying it down so that you don't bend the pointers. I did mine at the kitchen table and laid it on a towel. I used a pair of channel lock pliers to turn the speedo motor to get to the gears. You have to be careful not to break the tabs that hold the motor in. Then I used a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the gear and a small screwdriver to get the end tabs out. The worm gear just pulls off. Drop the new gear in and push till it clicks in. Tap the new worm gear on or squeeze it on with channel locks and you're good to go.
              how much to do mine?

2003 f250
              1990 mustang gt stock 68k miles
              1990 mustang gt 347 t56
              1994 peterbilt 377 dump truck 450hp cat
              1997 freightliner 500hp detriot[/FONT]

Comment

mine broke too and i'm in no hurry to fix it. going on 5 years now. lmao.
                95 Rio Red Cobra#3881

http://www.bborr.com/2013/2013results.html#115

Comment

Mine has also been broke close to 3 years now. Might have to fix it if its that easy
                  2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
                  Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
                  Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
                  Speedlogix Catch Can
                  Resonator Delete

Comment

I sell the Gears at DM Noah has installed tons of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X