2001 GT Engine Building?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 GT Engine Building?

A friend is inheriting an ’01 GT with a blown head gasket from a family member. It’s got a lot of miles but it’s clean, will be his first Mustang and will be a good project. Since the motor has to come out, he wants to build a solid N/A platform using the existing block and heads.

I’ve been out of the game for a while, but plan on helping him build it and I’m looking for what the go to processes for the 2V motors are these days. The last time I did this, all the goodies were already there and I just had to swap it all over to a good short block.

I’m looking for info like:

Do these rods, these pistons, these rings, do this with the heads, use these cams and springs, don’t bother with this, make sure you do that, these headers are trash, use these instead, k-member info, etc.

Does someone out there offer a solid rotating assembly parts kit?

Did the performance intake offerings for these ever get any better?

What about tuning/tuners? Who’s the go to or what’s the go to?

Are there one or two awesome mega thread builds out there that are a wealth of information not to be missed?

I’m sure I’ll think of more as time passes.

It’s only a 2V, so we aren’t breaking any power records here, he just wants to make it stronger and fun to drive. I’m sure I’ll think of more as time passes.

Personal experiences and stories, good or bad, appreciated.

IBSAS...LS1swap

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
      IBSAS...LS1swap

god bless.
      Yeah, no LS swap here. I'm not about to try and fuck with all that. If there was a turn key kit where you supply x, y, and z, maybe.

Comment

2001+ Crown Vic engines are pretty cheap used. They are Romeos and have PI heads along with the same cams. Swap your intake and I think timing cover and you can have it running again for well under $600.00.

Comment

The owner of this domain has not yet uploaded their website.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
            2001+ Crown Vic engines are pretty cheap used. They are Romeos and have PI heads along with the same cams. Swap your intake and I think timing cover and you can have it running again for well under $600.00.
            he wants to build up the engine. So...

FWIW, If I was in that position, CAI, longtubes, and a tune. The rest just seems like way too much dollars vs gain. Maybe, and this is a big maybe, I might find a non-pi shortblock to put under your heads, assuming that they are not trashed. Blowing an MLS head gasket isnt easy.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

What's the budget?

Non-pi motor, swap pi parts (if nothing is warped/cracked), then do some simple bolt ons (plenun, throttle body, cai, catless mid pipe, flavor of exhaust). Should be around the 300whp mark with a non-pi engine with pi heads/intake and those other parts/tune.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                What's the budget?

Non-pi motor, swap pi parts (if nothing is warped/cracked), then do some simple bolt ons (plenun, throttle body, cai, catless mid pipe, flavor of exhaust). Should be around the 300whp mark with a non-pi engine with pi heads/intake and those other parts/tune.
                You wont crack 300RWP unless you have cams and even then it's going to take a happy dyno.

Only way to make any kind power NA is to go with the trick flow heads.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                  You wont crack 300RWP unless you have cams and even then it's going to take a happy dyno.

Only way to make any kind power NA is to go with the trick flow heads.
                  Sad but true.

Comment

Like was just said above, building an N/A 2V is a very expensive undertaking.

You can keep the stock block, use a Ford Coyote crank (which will stroke to 4.75L), manley rods and pistons. If he is planning on keeping it N/A, go with around a 10.5:1 compression ratio.

Trick Flow 38cc Heads
                    Custom Grind Cams
                    Longtubes

Or, just fix the head gaskets and put a blower on it!
                    Scott Ganow
                    Lone Star Performance
                    16300 Midway Rd
                    Addison, TX 75001
                    214-630-5006

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                      he wants to build up the engine. So...

FWIW, If I was in that position, CAI, longtubes, and a tune. The rest just seems like way too much dollars vs gain. Maybe, and this is a big maybe, I might find a non-pi shortblock to put under your heads, assuming that they are not trashed. Blowing an MLS head gasket isnt easy.
                      Yeah, I figured it's probably still a ton of dough to make those things get out of their own way. It's only assumed the head gasket is blown per what the "shop" is saying. Blew a heater hose first then who knows what. No compression in two cylinders. I won't believe anything until I see for myself.

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                      What's the budget?

Not sure about budget. He's probably willing to put $1500 or so in to the motor.

Any reason to go non-pi short block over pi?

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
                        Yeah, I figured it's probably still a ton of dough to make those things get out of their own way. It's only assumed the head gasket is blown per what the "shop" is saying. Blew a heater hose first then who knows what. No compression in two cylinders. I won't believe anything until I see for myself.

Not sure about budget. He's probably willing to put $1500 or so in to the motor.

Any reason to go non-pi short block over pi?
                        just a healthy bump in compression.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

4V Mach engine swap and 96 Cobra intake cams, LTs, CAI, exhaust - 330 to the wheels all day long.

I built up a 2V and even with cams(no new heads), I only netted 298whp. It wasn't a cheap endeavor. By the time you buy heads, cams, LTs, etc. you will have spent more then enough to afford a swap and it's fairly easy swap to complete.
                          01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

My 2V made 500hp with just a cam change.

Comment

Explorer take out 4.6. Aluminum block PI.
                              07 GT500
                              05 SRT10
                              88 turbocoupe T-bird
                              93 Cobra
                              86 coupe
                              Ducati 848

Comment

Working...
                              X