Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 with new AC overheating

Hi all,
    Hoping someone can help me with this. I have a '65/289/PS/AC that is overheating in a couple of blocks down the street here in Texas.

It is a vintage ac system and I am running a 4 core aluminum radiator with a semi flex 3000 rpm fan. I have a 160 degree thermostat in it.

I have put a bigger fan out of a pick up with a 18 in fan that I cut to 17.25".

I am guessing the last thing for me to try is an electric fan conversion. Does anyone have any experience with this issue that can tell me if this is the only alternative and if there is anything I should be aware of with the conversion?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Guy
    65' Mustang Coupe 289/C4/PS/AC
    71' Chevy C10 383/350/411
    09' Jeep Rubicon/ chip tuned/CAI/Cat back/35"/+4" lift
    10' Mercedes Benz E350 CAI/Cat back
    87' Harley softail/ 30 over/ C&C carb/ Jim's Roller Rockers/Chrome forks with twisted pearl spoke set/-1"

does it get hot with the a/c off?
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

yes, it does since adding the semi flex fan.
      87' Harley softail/ 30 over/ C&C carb/ Jim's Roller Rockers/Chrome forks with twisted pearl spoke set/-1"

Comment

yeah, no shroud. I thought that might be part but it was running fine without AC and the hipo flex fan

Comment

think I am ready to just convert to electric 2 speed fan set up

Comment

My initial thoughts are that there shouldnt be any issues with overheating with a 4 core radiator. *IF* the hot air pulling through the condenser and radiator just wasnt enough to keep up, then I could see it being related, but in your case, it's getting hot either way.

Is the fan mounted the correct way? IE it's rotating the correct direction so it's pulling air through the radiator? You didnt change the water pump or convert to serpentine in the middle of this process did you?
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

no put upgraded edlebrock on but that was before I put in new radiator. Then put on upgraded flex fan, then replaced heater hoses, and added 160 thermo

Comment

If it was me, I would do a Combustion Leak Detection test on it before I went further.

pick up a kit, and it will tell you if you have a blown head gasket or not. Something like this:

Comment

If you're super lazy and dont want to do a compression test, you can send your oil to http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ and they'll give you a pretty good idea if you have a blown head gasket.

Comment

thanks, will do that and put on the electric fan since I just got ward it was delivered....Thanks for helping me think through the possibilities. I'm more of a Chevy guy than Ford.

Guy

Comment

I'll pick up a combustion leak tester today

Comment

Autozone rents them, but you have to buy the fluid. I have fluid leftover from my last use you're welcome to, if you are near Hurst.

Comment

thanks for the fluid offer cool cat, but in my jeep it would probably cost more to come get it from you than just purchase.

Comment

Dump your 160 thermostat and put the 180 back in. At 160, it will never close, your coolant will never stay in the radiator long enough to transfer heat, hense, your temps will continue to climb and you will over heat. I'd dump the flex fan too and reinstall the stock 5 blade and get yourself a shroud.

Comment

I hate to ask the obvious but, how do you know it is overheating? X2 on the 160 t-stat too. Electric is the way to go too!

Comment

Working...
                              X