turbo 'flutter'/ compression surge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo 'flutter'/ compression surge

I hear so many varying statements, its hard to figure out which is fact and which is fiction.

When you run a turbo car without a blow off valve and the air pressure escapes through the turbo, it makes a distinct flutter sound. Its hard to find a good video but here is an example, but you probably have heard it before.

The most common argument is that this is super bad and it will destroy all the things, however I don't see how even with a blow off valve, all air would escape through it, I'm sure even some air will still escape through the turbo.

The more valid sounding arguments is that this is NOT compressor surging, it is simply the air escape through the turbo and the fans cutting through the escaping air, and most importantaly the pressure is not enough to spin the compressor in the wrong direction ( which from what I've interpreted is compressor surge ) or cause damage to the turbo itself.

Any explanations or articles would be helpful.
    Last edited by abecx; 06-15-2015, 05:35 PM.

the compressor does not spin the wrong direction under surge

the shaft rapidly accelerates and decelerates as the compressor falls in and out of its map

it's hard on bearings
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Ok, I just got a visual of what you're saying, the air going out slows the air coming in which puts stress on the bearings? ( I don't know what map means in this use case )

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
        Ok, I just got a visual of what you're saying, the air going out slows the air coming in which puts stress on the bearings? ( I don't know what map means in this use case )
        Ded

Comment

Last edited by Blue88Coupe; 06-15-2015, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Blue88Coupe; 06-15-2015, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Cruz you're going to love this one, it sounds like some kinda fucked up tron / star wars death ray.

Last edited by Blue88Coupe; 06-15-2015, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Links aren't working for me. What are they under on youtube?

Comment

I guess its a benefit to NOT have a blow off valve in racing applications to keep the pressure higher longer to prevent turbo lag?

Those sound nuts nick
                  Last edited by abecx; 06-15-2015, 09:37 PM.

Comment

you really dont "need" one

but you'd want one..

Comment

Working...
                    X