Golf Cart - Gas Engine - Fuel Pump addition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf Cart - Gas Engine - Fuel Pump addition

SO... I have picked up an electric golf cart, removed batteries, installed a 420CC harbor freight gas engine. Everything is good to go except my fuel. The take im guessing is gravity feed, but because of the way its set up, i cannot install the tank above the seat, so ... im adding a fuel pump..

I bought a fuel pump off amazon - 3-5lbs... I cannot figure out how to wire the thing. It has a hot line and a ground. I hooked the + up to the battery and the ground gets HOT and it sparks bad.. so , common sense tells me something isnt right. Help

Thanks ,

Hector

Can you snap some pics of the swap? My dad has an electric one and I'd love to do this.
    WRX

Comment

Sounds like the pump is bad, are the wires red and black?

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
        Sounds like the pump is bad, are the wires red and black?
        The pump is new, I just dont know where to run the wires and the ground -

the frame is aluminum. Battery is grounded on the metal plate that the motor mounts to.

I really dont have any pics yet. I willl try and snap some later.

Comment

Ground can either go to the battery negative of the metal plate the motor is on. Power would need to be switched, if you're using an ignition switch for the engine (assuming it's electric start), then put it on 12 volt leg that is powered with the key in the run and start position. If you connect the fuel pump to power and ground and it doesn't make noise and the leads get hot, then most likely the pump is bad. If it's not common red (+) and black (-) make sure you read the instruction and connect it correctly. If for instance you had white and black wires, white may be ground.

Comment

That part can"t be bad because it is new!
            How many time have we all been burned on that one?

Comment

Working...
            X