P0717 and P0174 Codes on a F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P0717 and P0174 Codes on a F150

Looking for some input on this, tried some F150 sites for some assistance. But all I got was all theroy and no one with any real wrench time.

On cold days that are below 40 degrees I get a error engine code of P0171 & P0174. Following the advise from the F150 sites I changed my PCV hose assembly & valve and also installed a new IAC. This did not fix the issue, I only get these errors when its really cold outside. When I start it in the mornings the engine searchs and surges at idle sometimes just evens dies. But after I drive for like 15 minutes and the engine temp is up no more problems. One guy suggested changing the intake gaskets, but I'm saving that for the last.

Any suggestions on where to look or what to check, please let me know.

2001, F150 Super Crew, 5.4L
    Last edited by Markus; 02-10-2011, 08:34 AM. Reason: Title is wrong, lists P0717 instead of P0171

P0174 = system lean bank 2, P0717 = turbine speed sensor. You need to run it with a scanner and watch the sensor signal, O2 sensor deal could be just a sensor.

Comment

Sorry about that, my title was wrong, its suppose to say P0171 and P0174.

editted the title.

Comment

Pm me an email, ill send u the troubeshooting crap off alldata. They are pdf.

Comment

Its likely that your intake gaskets are shrinking in cold weather and causing a vacuum leak. Ford had a big problem with this on their v6 engines but havent really seen it with the 5.4l. When its acting up just spray some carb/brake cleaner aroud the intake and see if engine runs different.

Comment

I'll try spraying carb cleaner or starter fluid around the intake. I've been trying to stay away from trouble shooting the intake cause I do not want to do it, cause I'm usually short on time to do things like replace the gaskets.

Afriend of mine suggested cleaning the MAF to see if thats where the problem is, but I don't think that it is since it only does it when its cold. A MAF would give a different error wouldn't and do it all the time.

What about the AIT "Air inlet Temperture Sensor" since it only does it when its cold could this be it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Super Cubano View Post
              Its likely that your intake gaskets are shrinking in cold weather and causing a vacuum leak. Ford had a big problem with this on their v6 engines but havent really seen it with the 5.4l. When its acting up just spray some carb/brake cleaner aroud the intake and see if engine runs different.
              This is exactly what my truck is doing. 02 Lightning. I have very little vacuum, brakes suck and my truck is very rich.
              TPS is not align with MAF reading, something like that.

Comment

check your fuel pressure should be 35-55psi. pump may have a hard time pumping the cold fuel.

Comment

Didn't think to check fuel pressure, cause once its warm the truck runs great. Someone also told me to change the fuel filter, but i haven't done it yet.

It only happens when I start it up in the cold mornings, the truck will surge and search for an idle. But after I drive it for awhile it all goes away. I'm starting to think its a intake gasket leak problem, but I don't want to believe it just yet.

Comment

Checked everthing and decided to spray the intake with some Carb cleaner and wouldn't you it, its the intake that a leaking and allowing air into the system causing the CEL. Its on the passenger sider at the very front under the coolant crossover pipe.

Just need to pull everything off to get to the gasket and check for cracks.

Comment

Working...
                    X