Ok take 2. changed battery, car started, next day only clicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok take 2. changed battery, car started, next day only clicks

So, I asked you guys wtf was causing my car not to start, I THOUGHT it was the battery so I changed it yet again. It made one click, then cranked and started immediately... let it run a few minutes, turned off, fired right back up, did this 3 times...

fast forward about 24 hours, tried to pull out of garage to clean up a little, , click on the solenoid, no start... either this thing has a SERIOUS drain somewhere, or something is wrong. It shouldn't need a 100% charged battery right off the f'in charger to start...

I'm changing the solenoid again Saturday morning, any other causes it could be? Starter worked when car started the 4 times, so I don't think it's locked up, just seems like it needs 2 batteries to start the car. WHY?!

alarm or aftermarket stereo system?

Comment

Corrosion on terminals or loose terminal connections? I have to wiggle mine to make my truck start most mornings...it's on the to-do list.
      2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

Loose ground somewhere. What does your meter read across the terminals? (if you're using a meter)
        Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
          alarm or aftermarket stereo system?
          Yes.

Corrosion on cables could be possible, they looked good when I checked a few weeks ago. Funny how I heard the same click and then the starter turned over on Monday, and yesterday just click. Sob!

Comment

Dude you are probably only a few blocks away from me. I can help you track it down this evening if you like. PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by STROKD View Post
              Yes.

Corrosion on cables could be possible, they looked good when I checked a few weeks ago. Funny how I heard the same click and then the starter turned over on Monday, and yesterday just click. Sob!
              I've had a very similar situation before and it ended up being the ground for the starter...

Comment

Yes.
                I'd bet money it would be one of the two draining it.

Comment

Had the same thing on my old E30, and it was the old shitty ass aftermarket alarm.

Comment

Don't think it is alarm, but I do think it is battery issues. I took the battery out, fully charged it and it starts easily. If battery isn't fresh off the charger it won't start. Makes it inconvenient to drive anywhere and leave for over an hour, unless I park on a hill. Lol. Still gotta figure it out, but at least it does run very well with a fresh charge.

Comment

Check the battery cables. When I say check them, look for rust or other corrosion on BOTH ends of EACH cable. Also check the entire length to see if there is a burn or other damage to the insulation and corroded wiring. Check to make sure the connections are tight.

Also check the ground leads from the chassis to the engine block. I don't know what car this is, so if there is a dedicated ground circuit to the starter, take a look at that. And of course the positive cable that goes to the starter. If this is your old Mustang, then make sure there is at least one good ground from chassis to engine block, since that is how the starter gets grounded. Make sure the bolts that mount the solenoid to the fender don't have any corrosion, since that also needs to be grounded.

When you say it 'clicks', are you having to get back out and re-seat the battery cable(s)? If you have the headlights on, do they stay bright when you try to start the car, or do they get dim, or do they go out completely?

You said it had an external solenoid so that makes me think it might be a Ford. If so, don't buy any parts store solenoid. Go to Ford for one. Or better yet, go to a wrecking yard and find an OEM one. Over the past few years, all the Chinese solenoids I've encountered are absolute SHIT and burn up in an insanely short amount of time. And since they're electrical components, you can't return them.
                      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Well, it could be the solo noodles then cause I swapped it last year when the other one stuck on. The car is my 90 vert, Brooks re did a bunch if shit on it in 2013, and it's been sitting a lot since. Car runs pretty great when it starts. Battery is wired with high end stereo cables, and the starter is a pro xs mini with a built in Solomon. The fender solonoid is basically just a switch to connect the power with the key. Same way my hatch was really wired. Ground is on front and back of the head to the firewall and to the battery.

Comment

Well, it could be the solo noodles then cause I swapped it last year when the other one stuck on. The car is my 90 vert, Brooks re did a bunch if shit on it in 2013, and it's been sitting a lot since. Car runs pretty great when it starts. Battery is wired with high end stereo cables, and the starter is a pro xs mini with a built in Solomon. The fender solonoid is basically just a switch to connect the power with the key. Same way my hatch was really wired. Ground is on front and back of the head to the firewall and to the battery.
                          Ramen or macaroni?

Comment

Originally posted by BigDumbRedneck View Post
                            Ramen or macaroni?
                            New phone is learning. I think it was supposed to say solonoid. And even that I'm not sure is spelled right.

But now macaroni sounds good, so I thank you for that.

Comment

solenoid

Comment

Working...
                              X