No announcement yet.

1999 explorer wipers stopped working...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dome light is easy, that's part of the circuit attached to the door so if you have a bad ground or broken signal wire, weird shit could be happening.

The wipers i can't speak to, but with a bad ground you've got electricity going places it's not supposed to be - looking for a viable ground. the path of least resistance wins, regardless of whether its supposed to be a ground or not.

Taking that rubber boot off is the worst part of checking that bundle, i bet you could open it up, check for broken stuff, and put it back together in less than 10 minutes. good luck dude.

Comment

OK. I'll give it a shot. Here goes nothing...

Comment

That's a good thread he posted above. Hope you find the issue.

And I need to correct my earlier post. The GEM is about the size of an old VHS tape, behind the radio, 2-3 plugs from the harness go into it. Hope that's not the issue but its possible.

Comment

Wires look good.

How the fuck do u get to the gem? I'm looking at the ac/radio/vent facsia. U mentioned two 7mm something by the ac knobs. I don't see any bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
            Wires look good.

How the fuck do u get to the gem? I'm looking at the ac/radio/vent facsia. U mentioned two 7mm something by the ac knobs. I don't see any bolts.
            They're right above the knobs, facing down. Then the whole thing pops out.

Comment

Lol... That bugger was hidden... Thanks

Found the gem. Its crammed up in the top left corner of this opening. What should I be looking for? I might have to take off more dash panels? It seems its pretty wedged up there and I can't access the two top harnesses.

I'm about to give up if I can't figure this out and take it somewhere or to someone. Wife is pissing me off, constantly pestering me.

Comment

It should come out from there, I don't think you have to remove any other dash panels. I know it's a pain though. A replacement can be had on fleabay for cheap.

Comment

Might not be the same, but I just fixed my DPS car's wipers and radio by replacing the ignition switch. Finally realized that the wipers and radio would work 100% of the time with the key turned backward, but only intermittently once the car was started. Then, I realized the trunk release button was affected in the same manner, and the car would fire right off on the first crank and immediately die unless I tapped the accelerator. Seemed odd, and the only thing I could figure was the ignition switch wasn't making contact once the key was rotated all the way. Lights, turn signals, hazards, etc., still worked.

I pulled the column shroud and the switch basically just fell apart in my hands. Ford didn't have it in stock ($50), so for $18 at O'Reilly I fixed all of the problems it was having. Good luck.

Comment

Well I'm fed up with this piece of shit. Any recommendations on who to take it to around lewisville... gem looks good. All connections are clean and not corroded. No broken wire from what I can see under the dash and between the door and body. The multifunction switch was replaced but didn't make a difference, so it was returned ($80!). And lastly, the ignition switch was replaced to no avail... left it on there. Was only $19.

Thanks for the help so far but I think it's beyond my capabilities and patience.i haven't the slightest idea as to whats wrong.

I did talk to a Redmonds auto in old Town lewisville who can get to it monday... everywhere else will NOT touch it because it's over 15 years old, or because its a wire/electrical issue.

Comment

OK so I took it in. It is Tue GEM Module. They said its $305 for a new one and $150 to reflash it... I think I'll find me a used one. But if I find one that is for a 99 Eddie Bauer 2wd, I shouldn't need a reflash right? If anyone has one, please share!

Comment

Working...
                      X