Ford Flathead block any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Flathead block any good?

Wrong forum but I thought somebody may know here. I have this Ford Flathead that is already .40 over probably needs to go .60 over to clean the cylinders up.

This issue I have is the valves. For some reason they ground the valves on one side of the block very excessively. I believe the block is trash but wanted a second opinion.

Driver side

Passenger side

Last edited by BigBlue; 04-26-2015, 09:30 PM.

You are missing some zeros there.

I am no expert, but did do some reading on the flat heads when my Dad was looking at the earlier F series trucks a while back.

The space between the cylinder and valve porting is not an issue unless it is a result of previous rebuilds/overboring. It is not uncommon for the entire area to be heavily ported and even brought down to near the level of the valve surface in some of the higher output motors.

Have you measured your bore diameter? I would do that and then speak with someone who deals with those motors.

Comment

Flathead

Last one I did was a 3 & 3/8's X 4 1/8 (296 Cubic inches) . Used 59A exhaust valves and split guides. 9.0 :1 Offenhauser aluminum heads, 8BA front cover and cam adapter with Mallory dual point distributor. It had a split center exhaust port, headers, and a Wilcap 9 pound flywheel. Also had a SCOT Supercharger with dual Stromberg 97's. Lincoln gears in a '47 open drive transmission and 4:88 Getz gears in a Halibrand quick change rear end with '59 Buick finned brakes. This set up was in a 1500 pound glass T Bucket. It was a fun ride. Grind the valves, re ring it and hammer on it. Use 59A full floating inserts and a Lincoln type oil pump. I think Melling still makes one. Flatheads are real motors. Don't forget to modify the water pumps and do run thermostats or washers in the heads. In a light body with sticky tires a Flathead can be surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by NoClassic View Post
        You are missing some zeros there.

I am no expert, but did do some reading on the flat heads when my Dad was looking at the earlier F series trucks a while back.

The space between the cylinder and valve porting is not an issue unless it is a result of previous rebuilds/overboring. It is not uncommon for the entire area to be heavily ported and even brought down to near the level of the valve surface in some of the higher output motors.

Have you measured your bore diameter? I would do that and then speak with someone who deals with those motors.
        Sorry try the link again

Comment

Working...
        X