No announcement yet.

Battery issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn, I knew I forgot something! How do I check it?
    --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Those regulators are known for sticking open and doing what you described. I had one on mine stick open, heat up the alt and it meted the connector off the alternator. I'm lucky the car didn't catch fire. Just put your meter across ground and the (+) bat cable and see what the charge rate is.

I highly recommend a single wire, regulated alternator swap though.
      Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

I'll give it a shot this evening.

Alt. upgrade is in the plans but not until I do the engine swap.
        --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Screw a one wire alternator. They belong on forklifts & farm tractors. Period. Put a solid state Regulator on it & make sure the mounting points of said regulator are good clean metal. Done, done & done

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
            Those regulators are known for sticking open and doing what you described. I had one on mine stick open, heat up the alt and it meted the connector off the alternator. I'm lucky the car didn't catch fire. Just put your meter across ground and the (+) bat cable and see what the charge rate is.

I highly recommend a single wire, regulated alternator swap though.
            Meter read 14.56

Good?
            --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Is that the reading at the battery or right off of the alternator? That is a little bit high if that is the reading at the battery and could cause battery issues. Check for resistance between the negative battery terminal and the body of the voltage regulator. There should be no more than .3 of an ohm resistance.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

That is at the battery right across the posts with truck running.
                --carlos

sigpic

Comment

14.5 is a little high, but nothing i'd worry about. Whats the number across the battery with the cables disconnected?

Comment

Working...
                  X