Battery issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery issue

My '68 F100 had been down due to a starter and timing chain replacement for the past few days. Last night I finally got it all buttoned up and cranked. I was letting it warm up for a few minutes before I took it out for a drive. As I did a final inspection to make sure everything was good to go I notice a hissing sound. I assumed a manifold gasket leak but they checked out fine. As I listen to it a little closer it started to sound more like a gurgling sound. I don't know what made me look at the battery, but I did, and I noticed it was gurgling around the fill caps. And from what I could tell it had been doing it for a while because the entire side of the batt had a wet acid film. The batt tray looked to have collected quite a bit of fluid in it also. What would cause this? Was the alternator overcharging the bat causing it to pressurize?

Anyway, I never got around to taking it out but did cut it off and on several times in the next hour or so with no ill effects. I tucked it back in the garage and called it a night. This evening after I got home from work I went to pull it out and take it for a spin. To my surprise, the batt was/is completely dead. Is it safe to say the batt is shot? I've never had a batt spew fluid out like that.

TIA
    --carlos

sigpic

The battery was likely damage due to being boiled over by an overcharging condition. When you get your replacement battery, also get a voltage regulator.

Comment

So what you're saying is that most likely the voltage regulator is bad, correct?
      --carlos

sigpic

Comment

It sounds like you are in the right direction.

Quick question though.

Is your truck just basically a restored classic truck, or have you recently added all kinds of modern day electrical gadgets without doing any system upgrades to account for it?

I ask because Ive seen it happen a few times when a system gets overloaded with current draw from things the original designers never even thought possible.

It sounds like that isn`t the problem, but I thought I would ask.
        Last edited by Mongoose; 04-21-2015, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Just do a 1-wire alt conversion and call it good, after a new battery of course
          Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

At this moment your worry should be the large amount of battery acid you have left to pool and eat metal.
            You need to make a bucket of baking soda and acid and neutralize that acid.

Comment

V. regulator is bad! I have seen batteries blow up in the Ford dealer I worked in.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and ditch the old school alternator and upgrade to a 3g.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
                  V. regulator is bad! I have seen batteries blow up in the Ford dealer I worked in.
                  It's almost as exciting as when suspension air bags pop. I've seen the same tech do both! Heck I think he even had a coil spring pop out of a compressor. I'm sure he's probably dead by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                    It sounds like you are in the right direction.

Quick question though.

Is your truck just basically a restored classic truck, or have you recently added all kinds of modern day electrical gadgets without doing any system upgrades to account for it?

I ask because Ive seen it happen a few times when a system gets overloaded with current draw from things the original designers never even thought possible.

It sounds like that isn`t the problem, but I thought I would ask.
                    The only thing that I've done is replace the HEI dizzy that the PO had installed with an electronic Mallory and MSD Blaster coil. New MSD wires also. But all these parts were swapped over 9 months ago with no problems.

the only other change I made, was to ensure that the alternator belt had the customary half inch to 1 inch of slack. IMO since I got the truck it had too much slack. could the tightening of the belt have anything to do with it over charging the battery?
                    --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                      The only thing that I've done is replace the HEI dizzy that the PO had installed with an electronic Mallory and MSD Blaster coil. New MSD wires also. But all these parts were swapped over 9 months ago with no problems.

the only other change I made, was to ensure that the alternator belt had the customary half inch to 1 inch of slack. IMO since I got the truck it had too much slack. could the tightening of the belt have anything to do with it over charging the battery?
                      No

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                        No
                        x2. Agreed.

I was asking you about any possible modern day electrial accessory upgrades because I wasn`t there to see if that was the case. When I start hearing about batteries & altenators and I hear the vehicle is a classic, that is the first thing I try to rule out as the root cause of the issue.

In your situation it isnt. Like was mentioned earlier.... Clean out that acid before anything else, and do your normal testings on the altenator and such once you replace the battery....Then go from there, if it wasnt a case of just a bad battery.
                        Last edited by Mongoose; 04-22-2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Affirmative, there have been no other upgrades besides the ones mentioned. I recently put a new batt in my explorer, so when I get home I plan on pulling it and dropping it in the F100. Gonna pick up a new regulator on way home. We'll see what happens.
                          --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Went ahead and installed a new batt and voltage regulator this evening. Amazing difference. Starts better than my wife's Volvo and Explorer which are 30+ years newer. I'm going to monitor the batt for leaking for the next few days or so.

Thanks guys.
                            --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                              Went ahead and installed a new batt and voltage regulator this evening. Amazing difference. Starts better than my wife's Volvo and Explorer which are 30+ years newer. I'm going to monitor the batt for leaking for the next few days or so.

Thanks guys.
                              Just checking back in... Was the altenator`s output readings within spec?

Comment

Working...
                              X