Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a shop manual have detailed info on carburetor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a shop manual have detailed info on carburetor?

Like the title says, I'm trying to find rebuild and setup info on an oddball carb that's stock on an 83 V6 LTD. The only thing I've found for the car is a set of shop manuals but want to make sure it'll have rebuild info on the carb before I spend the money.

If it is the 2bbl., it is a piece of cake to set-up. If it is the VV shoot the carb or your foot!
    REPLACE the FLOAT!!
    REPLACE the FLOAT!!
    REPLACE the FLOAT!! It is bad..
    LMK I'll rebuild it if you want to come to the extremes of the North or help anytime....

Gary

Comment

If it's variable venturi, throw it away and buy a standard 2 barrel. If it's a basic 2 bbl, the carb kit will usally have specs for float height, choke adjustments, etc. At least all the kits I've ever used.

Basically what garycrist said above lol.

Comment

It's the VV carb. Let me see what you guys think. It won't cold start at all with any amount of gas pedal mashing. It will cold start if I spray fuel down the carb and keep it running with gas. After its slightly warm it will idle and run fine on its own. If I kill it warm it'll crank back up warm but not after an hour of cool down. To me it sounds like choke issue but the whole choke setup makes me scratch my head.

Comment

I have the 2 brl off my 69, if it will work for you.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
            It's the VV carb. Let me see what you guys think. It won't cold start at all with any amount of gas pedal mashing. It will cold start if I spray fuel down the carb and keep it running with gas. After its slightly warm it will idle and run fine on its own. If I kill it warm it'll crank back up warm but not after an hour of cool down. To me it sounds like choke issue but the whole choke setup makes me scratch my head.
            Sounds more like an accelerator pump issue. I've only ever messed with one V-V carb, and it's been 16 years plus. The truck we had one on was a pain to start cold, but would if you pumped it long enough. The plates would never open much past 25% and made it a dog. I messed with it for a while and rebuild a conventional 2 bbl we had laying around the shop for it. Night and day difference on starting, running, and performance. I wouldn't hesitate to throw a V-V in the trash.

Comment

I was pretty good at working on VV carbs back in the day and still have many of the factory tools to service them. The real trick was to measure/gauge everything BEFORE you took it apart. In general it is best to just toss them in favor of a better carb.
              Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 04-23-2015, 07:45 AM.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I found this

and plan to check out the cold start enrichment rod. The more I search on the carb the more hesitant I am to run it. It it wasn't such a low mileage car I woulda chunked it already but with 79k miles and never been screwed with I just want to keep it that way....or put an LS in it.

Comment

Working...
                X