Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any state inspectors? (Not looking for hookup)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any state inspectors? (Not looking for hookup)

Thinking about buying a car from out of state that has a engine swap. 2000 mustang with LS swap using megasquirt so no obd 2 port. since texas requires an initial inspection w/ green sheet for out of state cars, will it just be nearly impossible to get it inspected and the title transferred?

Really like the car but that is what's stopping me.

That will be a major pain in the ass if it is even possible.

Comment

Yeah same thing I'm thinking. Hate to pass up on it but owell.

Comment

Just do like everyone else and don't get it inspected.

Comment

Can you get a OBD2 car inspected with the dyno if there's no OBD2 to plug into? Or does it instantly fail?

Comment

instant fail.

Comment

How are they tuning it for mega squirt? There has to be a data connection, or possibly an obd2 to usb plug

I know nothing of megasquirt, my apologies. I assume it's a stand alone engine management system! But for all I know it could just be a carb'd ls1

Comment

The megasquirt system I have is a serial connection(I used a usb to serial adapter to tune with).

Any chance of getting it inspected in a different county(non emissions)?

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                  Just do like everyone else and don't get it inspected.
                  Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                  The megasquirt system I have is a serial connection(I used a usb to serial adapter to tune with).

Any chance of getting it inspected in a different county(non emissions)?

Cant do that now with the one sticker law. I just sold a 93 coupe a few weeks ago and the guy had hell transferring the title because the inspection was out. The car had no emissions and my "hookup" sticker had run out and I never got another. No big deal for him because he lived outside of DFW and didnt need emissions inspections. He tried to transfer the title and they refused till he got it re-inspected and because it was last inspected in a emmissions county, it would need to be redone with emissions again. According to all the inspectors he talked to in his area anyway.

He finally found a guy that would do it and he was able to transfer the title but now that the inspection is tied to registration, it will be a pain in the ass. Even before the law though, you still needed a green sheet before you could transfer out of state titles so no real big change.

I got a hold of a buddy that does inspections and he said with a 1996+ vehicle that uses the obd2 port, it would be nearly impossible to do a proper inspection so I decided to stay away.

Comment

I'm pretty sure if there is a data error with the OBD2 they can dyno those cars.
                    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                    dont downshift!!
                    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Not anymore, if the it doesnt read off the obd then it fails.They stopped that a few years back.

Comment

You could try for a low mileage exemption.

This is not a thread about how to get a fake sticker or who to take a car to that will "slap" a sticker on your car. I am not sure if you guys are aware of this. A lot of us meet these criteria but seldom take advantage of the Texas DPS Low Mileage Waiver. This is a hot topic for me right now as I am about to re

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
                          Cant do that now with the one sticker law. I just sold a 93 coupe a few weeks ago and the guy had hell transferring the title because the inspection was out. The car had no emissions and my "hookup" sticker had run out and I never got another. No big deal for him because he lived outside of DFW and didnt need emissions inspections. He tried to transfer the title and they refused till he got it re-inspected and because it was last inspected in a emmissions county, it would need to be redone with emissions again. According to all the inspectors he talked to in his area anyway.

He finally found a guy that would do it and he was able to transfer the title but now that the inspection is tied to registration, it will be a pain in the ass. Even before the law though, you still needed a green sheet before you could transfer out of state titles so no real big change.

I got a hold of a buddy that does inspections and he said with a 1996+ vehicle that uses the obd2 port, it would be nearly impossible to do a proper inspection so I decided to stay away.
                          did that orange car go to the rockwall area? I thought I saw it going across lake ray hubbard a few days ago

Comment

Think the guy lived in greenville

Sent from my Note 3, excuse the typos.......

Comment

Working...
                            X