T5 Squealing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T5 Squealing

Hey gents, I have a 1990 GT Mustang 5.0 and T5 transplanted into my 1980 MGB sports car. Its a mild set up, stock shortblock and cam, GT40 heads, 1.7 rockers, Weiand Stealth intake, Edlebrock carb and MSD 6AL.

I was doing some tune up work on the motor to get ready for spring driving. Got the motor running great but after it warmed up there was a squealing coming from the trans. Throwout bearing seems to be working fine and doesnt seem to be the source of the sound. Tranny shifts fine also. The sqeal goes away when the engine is cold.

Hoping this is something simple as pulling the tranny require pulling the motor in this tiny car.

Any thoughts?

You need to replace the throwout bearing retainer on the transmission with a steel version and a good quality bearing. The good news is that the noise shouldn't cause you any issues, it is just annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
      You need to replace the throwout bearing retainer on the transmission with a steel version and a good quality bearing. The good news is that the noise shouldn't cause you any issues, it is just annoying.
      UGH, that sucks since the tranny has to come out. Is there a brand I should look for? Only want to do it once!

Comment

OK, its not the throw out bearing. Any other ideas? Has to be the pilot bearing, right?

Comment

Pilot bearing should only have an opportunity to make noise when the clutch is disengaged (when crank and input shaft are not matching speeds), no?

Is the noise purely temp based or also clutch based (engaged vs disengaged) ?

Comment

I had a t5 that whined like a gear drive due to it being wore the fuck out.

Comment

Trans is freshly rebuilt and this noise is forward of the actual transmission. The noise did get softer when the clutch was depressed but didint go away. It does seem to go away abve about 2500RPM. Its a squeal much like a loose fan belt and it doesnt happen when the engine is cold.

Comment

do you have the aluminum block plate in there?

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  do you have the aluminum block plate in there?

Yes, I have that plate in the picture.

Comment

Working...
                  X