Rear Main Seal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Main Seal Question

Well last night got home and noticed the Escalade was leaking oil from the rear main seal. Do you guys recommend anything that may help stop this leak with out having to drop the trans? Any product out there you may know of? Its a small leak but I hate oil spots on my drive way/garage. T.I.A
    Originally posted by Da Prez
    Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
    Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Are you sure it's the main seal?

I can't think of any of those types of products that actually work like they say they do - but to be honest, I don't have any experience with them either.

Keep in mind, if it does something to the main seal, it's doing something to the timing cover seal, and every other seal in the engine .

Comment

Yeah I cheched it out last night...and oil filter/oil pan/valve covers are fine and the drips are coming from right behind center the engine. And I know it would be very price to get that fixed
      Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!

Comment

Are you sure its not coming from your pcv valve? I have a leak coming from the back "top" center of my engine..I thought I had a tranny leak cause my glide is new with only 10 miles on it.
        Last edited by 83coupe; 02-08-2011, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I have never had luck with any "leak stopper" additive. The rear main and front pump on the trans in my truck leak and nothing has even slowed it down..

Comment

Originally posted by 83coupe View Post
            Are you sure its not coming from your pcv valve? I have a leak coming from the back "top" center of my engine..I thought I had a tranny leak cause my glide is new with only 10 miles on it.
            Yeah I'm its from the rear main seal

Got a glide now?

Comment

And its engine oil that is dripping

Comment

I have heard, and you might wanna research this a little first, that a tablespoon of transmission fluid in the oil will soften the seals back up. A lot of Jeep guys swear to this but I have not tried it yet.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced4v View Post
                  Yeah I'm its from the rear main seal

Got a glide now?
                  Maybe what I'm thinking isn't called the pcv valve..cause I have a leak at the top of the engine in the back on the drivers side. Oil is flowing right out of it. Hopefully there is a hose that never got hooked back up....Yes glide is in the car was PITA too.

Comment

Originally posted by 83coupe View Post
                    Maybe what I'm thinking isn't called the pcv valve..cause I have a leak at the top of the engine in the back on the drivers side. Oil is flowing right out of it. Hopefully there is a hose that never got hooked back up....Yes glide is in the car was PITA too.
                    Dang man!!! Race car matieral!

Kingjason the trans fluid wont mess anything up?

Comment

It'll probably leak worse. Replace the seal, they leak all the time.

Comment

Thanks BP....anyone got a price range of how much it would cost me to have this done? I know the seal dont cost much but labor will!

Comment

Thanks BP....anyone got a price range of how much it would cost me to have this done? I know the seal dont cost much but labor will!
                          Ha baller on a budget, just take it into a dealer and pay what they quote you. You are rolling a Escalade right?

Comment

Originally posted by TX21 View Post
                            Ha baller on a budget, just take it into a dealer and pay what they quote you. You are rolling a Escalade right?
                            Got 2 of them....and people have money because they spend it wisely. and far from a baller...

Comment

Dang man!!! Race car matieral!

I don't have a race car...my shit is tagged & inspected

Jose its the oil sending unit thats what is leaking on mine. Its at the back on the top of the block on the drivers side

Comment

Working...
                              X