357 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 357 build

Just seeing what you guys think about my combo. It will be going in my fox coupe 5 speed

F4TE 351w .030 over
    Probe forged flat top pistons
    Probe lightweight I beam stock length rods
    Lunati 544/560 112lsa 232/242@50 duration
    RHS 200cc intake / 64cc chamber heads

Thinking about
    Edlebrock performer air gap
    700-750cfm holley double pumper
    Long tube BBK headers with 3" or 2.5" exhaust

Opinions?

Is this going in a car that's already carb'd? If you currently have fuel injection, why not keep it?
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Would love to keep the fuel injection but for the money I think I'm going to just run a carb on it for now. It's an 87 so inspection isn't a problem.

After I get it running I think I'll start gathering parts to inject it again

Comment

Originally posted by Slammy View Post
        Would love to keep the fuel injection but for the money I think I'm going to just run a carb on it for now. It's an 87 so inspection isn't a problem.

After I get it running I think I'll start gathering parts to inject it again
        its more or less just a new intake, and whatever size injectors you choose.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Intake, injectors, mass air, throttle body and then you have the computer tuning nightmare to deal with. My car has been converted to mass air though so it has the a9l or whatever already. I just don't know how tunable that stock computer is for my combo. If you get into custom ecms, that jacks the price way up.

Comment

Im not against it, just need to do more research and was thinking of just carbing it for now and leaving all the computer stuff in the car so I can hook it back up later

Comment

You'll kill the value if you carb it. That said, all you really need is the right intake or even just like a lightning lower (gt40/cobra/explorer style) and any other Explorer upper to match it for now. Your existing stuff would still work with it, till you can buy a better intake that flows more. The A9L computer should figure it out fine as long as you're not using really big injectors and MAF calibrated for it. But just a calibrated MAF and like maybe some 30-36lb injectors and you'd be fine I'm sure.
              Originally posted by stevo
              Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Aslong as the computer will work with it OK, I don't mind keeping the injection.

What about the rest of the combo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                  You'll kill the value if you carb it. That said, all you really need is the right intake or even just like a lightning lower (gt40/cobra/explorer style) and any other Explorer upper to match it for now. Your existing stuff would still work with it, till you can buy a better intake that flows more. The A9L computer should figure it out fine as long as you're not using really big injectors and MAF calibrated for it. But just a calibrated MAF and like maybe some 30-36lb injectors and you'd be fine I'm sure.
                  you just described the setup in my brother's t-top. His has a Professional products intake on it that we port matched.

cheap intake options (aside from the PP) is a marine 351 lower, its a gt40 but cast, not aluminum, and an explorer or gt40 upper.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I don't mind getting something nice, looking at the trick flow setup

Comment

I got a real gt40 intake in storage with a nice polished accufab tb
                      And might have injectors and matching mass air as well if your interested

Comment

I just built a 347 with very similar specs with 185cc heads and a comp roller cam with 110 LSA with almost same duration/lift. Made 430/447 on the dyno with a Demon 650 vacuum secondary carb. Air flow meter on the dyno showed max cfm at 514. You typically want a carb 100 cfm larger than demand.

200 cc heads are a bit much unless you plan on having all top end and lots of RPM. 185cc would yield a broader power curve with more torque.

Comment

Hey thanks for responding!
                          I figured my heads were a little big but I was wanting a little more top end power. It's been balanced and I was planning on spinning it to 6500 or so. I personally don't think I needed a bunch of torque in such a light car. Seems ever car I've riden in has tons of bottom end, great for smoking the tires but then gets beat by the LS motors cause they can't breathe and make high end power.

Am I wrong in my thinking?

Comment

I didn't pick the cam either, it was already in the short block I bought so I was just going to run it and see how it acts. I might completely change everything if I don't like it!

Comment

The 5 spd will help. Mine is c4 auto and sub 3000 lb car with 2800 stall. Still in project stage so not on the rd yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X