Which battery to get for winch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which battery to get for winch?

I have a 9k-lb winch on my trailer, and need to get a good battery for it. Guy at the parts store said to get an Optima Red Top, but then I inquired on whats the difference on a Marine battery and said those don't need an alternator to charge up as car batteries do. He also showed me some car batteries with CCA's over 900. Ill keep this battery on a maintainer at the shop as sits there not in used.

Thanks,
    Dirty.

Originally posted by sosoe View Post
    I have a 9k-lb winch on my trailer, and need to get a good battery for it. Guy at the parts store said to get an Optima Red Top, but then I inquired on whats the difference on a Marine battery and said those don't need an alternator to charge up as car batteries do. He also showed me some car batteries with CCA's over 900. Ill keep this battery on a maintainer at the shop as sits there not in used.

Thanks,
    Dirty.
    Dafuq?

I use a deep cycle for mine.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
      Dafuq?

I use a deep cycle for mine.
      Yup.

Was reading up quickly on Deep Cycle, seems as that's the route I should go.

The zone has some marine batteries, which are priced reasonable.

Comment

Reserve capacity is more important than CCA for a winch battery. Nearly any 12V automotive type battery can easily handle the amp draw, especially since it's rolling weight.

Personally I'd look for big and cheap, just like Friday night at the redneck bar.

Comment

I run a deep cycle marine battery to power mine.

If you are looking to save a few bucks, $34.99 @ Pro Battery in Fort Worth. 1 year warranty.

Comment

I hear these are good to use when the battery is going to sit.

Engineered for cars and trucks, our automotive battery chargers and jump starters ensure your vehicle is always humming along at peak performance. So charge ahead with confidence, knowing that your vehicle is powered for the road ahead.

Comment

Yes a battery tender/maintainer and deep cycle is the way to go for these purposes. I used to use a standard battery for my boat for lighting and it would die after around 6 hours. With a deep cycle battery they'll last 8+(Did not try longer) hours and then still crank the boat motor (forgot to switch a/b/all switch).

Edit: I think Plano Marine has good pricing on their marine batteries
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
              X