Lexan windshield.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexan windshield.

Has anyone used lexan to make a windshield? Thinking of going 3/16 thick and was hoping someone would have some drop they don't need anymore.

I've done that before with the Lexan you can buy at Lowes. Just trace it out and cut with a jig saw. The only tricky part is figuring out a way to hold it in place. We just used self tapping screws because it wasn't a road car. It lasted about a year before we wised up and went back to a glass windshield. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Comment

Me thinks his charge pipe to the throttle body is going to come partially through the bottom of where the glass is.
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

best to buy formed windshield from a company like Shields or VFN? it ain't cheap but the fact it is curved takes a lot of the stress out of the plastic and makes it last. I have had mine in the race car since 2006....but it is cloudy.

You can also look online for used lexan from Nascar teams and dirt track team. Don't expect them to be perfect, but figure $80-100+ shipping instead of $700+. If you do buy new, be sure to get the anti-scratch outer coating AND the anti-fog inner coating and be damn sure you follow the care instructions on what cleaner to use. also, read your ruleset on how to install them for required retainers and such. I also suggest 1/4" for durability and safety. 3/16" is pretty brittle. It doesn't sound like a whole lot being 1/16" but it's worth it.

Comment

Right. I planned on going with MP-10 lexan that way it doesn't scratch real easy or get all foggy. I also have all the stock clips and everything and will be running a brace in the center to support it.
          The stock windshield doesn't have any weird contours so it would be pretty simple to make it out of a flat piece.

Comment

We are picking up MarGard MR-10 in bulk next week. 3/16" can be glued in without any screws or bracing if the windshield doesn't have any major contours. This is the high quality scratch resistant polycarbonate glass that we use in all racecars that want something stronger and lighter than glass. We also get inside and out coated, not just the outside.

Expect a windshield in 3/16" not cut to fit your car to be $300 or so depending on size. You will have to fit it yourself for this price!!

Call or text 903-486-7292 for more information
            2JM Fab
            88mm isn't enough!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X