Need car problem diagnoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need car problem diagnoses

I have an 2009 Nissan Maxima that is now stuck in the garage and wont start.

A few days ago, I went out there to start it and it wouldnt turn over. It was sputter like it was trying and appeared to be not getting enough juice to start. It appeared like a bad battery.

I went and got a new battery for it, put it in, and it cranked up right away. Sounded great and all was good. I let it run for a minute or so then turned it off.

Last night, I go back out there to leave, after it had sat there for a day since putting in the new battery, and its sputtering again. It started for a brief few seconds then died. Now it just sputtered and clicks like its trying to start.

So in the end Im stuck with the car in the garage still and dont know what the issue is. Anyone have any ideas?

My guess from what Ive read is starter or alternator. I also dont know how to replace either of these so am going to have to find a mobile mechanic to come out and replace it for me.

So, are you saying the battery is dead again ? If so, then something is staying on and killing it.. What's not stock on the electrical ?

Comment

Leave anything on? Sounds like a battery draw if it has the click clicks again

Comment

I dont think anything was left on. I guess i need to try jump starting it and see.

If it jump starts, then does that rule out the starter being bad? Anyway to test the alternator?

Comment

Yes, and pull the ground off the battery while it's running. If it remains running then the alt is doing its job.
          Just my 2¢. I'm no mechanic but that's what I'd do.
          Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
          There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Do Not disconnet the battery with the car running.

Comment

Is there anything aftermarket that is electrical ? Did someone add an amp, a stereo, fog lights/ Anything not stock ?

Comment

My bet: you have a relay somewhere that is sticking and draining the battery...
                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Charge it, wait till dark an lay the rear seats down so u can see if the trunk light is on or not

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
                    Charge it, wait till dark an lay the rear seats down so u can see if the trunk light is on or not
                    Good advice. Also check the visor lights.

Comment

See if it jump starts and report back. Make sure the terminals are tight and corrosion free

Where did you get the battery.

Nissan are also notorious for cam and crano sensor problems

Comment

Sounds like a power drain. Dome light or stereo or something. The starting but sputtering makes me believe that the alt is failing. Get a molti-meter and after you jump it, pull the jump cables off and test the voltage at the battery. If when running its is below 13.7 than you have a dead alt. You can check to make sure the charge leed is tight and that the excitor plug is tight to be sure. Plus there is a main fuse under the hood for the alt and you want to make sure that is good too.

If there is easy access to the alt and you dont have good voltage at the battery you can connect the positive leed of the meter to the terminal on the alt and see if its is making 13.7+ volts. If it is than you have a blown fuseable link in the wire or the fuse in the fuse box has blown. Nissans like to do that when they sit for a bit and try to charge a bad battery.
                        Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

I will try to jump this afternoon when I get home and report back. I appreciate all the help.

Comment

You can also pull the ground or positive (help me out guys but I think its the hot wire) and run a test light between the terminal and the battery cable. If it has a draw it will light up just a little. Been a while but I have ran down a few shorts this way. If you get a light start pulling accessory fuses until it goes off and there is your bad circuit.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Sounds like a money pit. I'll give you $200 bucks and take it off your hands

Comment

Working...
                              X