Transmssion Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmssion Question

So I have a 2002 Ford F-150 with around 210K miles on it. I'm starting to hear a slight "thunk" (for lack of a better word) when I'm in OD and give it a little gas and it downshifts into third gear. Fluid level is fine. I've had the transmission fluid and filter changed before about 6 or 7 years ago. I was thinking about doing it again but a friend of mine is telling me that I will probably make the problem worse. I have no idea what sort of problem I'm having and I'm hoping this will help it and not make it worse.

Any thoughts on this? Should I go ahead and do a transmission fluid and filter change or is it not a good idea?

My 2005 Expedition does the same thing. OD to 3rd downshift thunks. To me it feels like a bad U joint on the drive shaft but I have been too lazy to crawl under there and check it out.

Comment

That's what happened with my Lincoln right before I lost OD altogether. I'm not knowledgeable with autos, but the guy that fixed it said the OD pump was gone and some bands were stretched.

I didn't really care, just rebuild it.

Comment

Why do people say changing a trans filter and fluid on a high mileage auto trans is bad for it?

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
          Why do people say changing a trans filter and fluid on a high mileage auto trans is bad for it?
          I've always heard the junk in the existing fluid helps it out, never knew whether to believe it though

Comment

I think it goes back to shops not wanting to do it, as then they get blamed when the tranny fails soon after.

If it were mine, I'd change and flush.
            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
            86 SVO - Sold
            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by lilvega View Post
              My 2005 Expedition does the same thing. OD to 3rd downshift thunks. To me it feels like a bad U joint on the drive shaft but I have been too lazy to crawl under there and check it out.
              Why wouldn't you hear it under other gear changes though?

Originally posted by Denny View Post
              That's what happened with my Lincoln right before I lost OD altogether. I'm not knowledgeable with autos, but the guy that fixed it said the OD pump was gone and some bands were stretched.

I didn't really care, just rebuild it.
              That's almost what I'm thinking as well. But I've been wanting to buy a new truck this year and this is a good enough excuse to go ahead and do so.

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
              I've always heard the junk in the existing fluid helps it out, never knew whether to believe it though
              Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
              I think it goes back to shops not wanting to do it, as then they get blamed when the tranny fails soon after.

If it were mine, I'd change and flush.
              To me this is the automotive equivalent of an old wives tale. I know around the same time I did the trans fluid and filter change I also did a gear oil change on the rear end. This was all done before I did a long trip and although everything went fine on the trip, over the next year or so I started getting a perceptible whine and I got it rebuilt. Granted I know I didn't follow any sort of prescribed maintenance schedule when it came to changing out the trans and rear end fluids but I've never beat up in either.

I'm going to go ahead and get the trans fluid and filter change done this week and go from there. I'm planning on buying a new(ish) truck this year and this may or may not accelerate those plans.

Comment

Check the tranny mount before doing anything to the transmission.

Comment

If the clutch packs are worn, fresh tranny fluid can cause additonal slippage. I don't think that's the case here if he's hearing a clunk and it's not slipping now.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                    Check the tranny mount before doing anything to the transmission.
                    Good idea. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                      Good idea. Thanks!
                      Every clunk I've ever felt in a tranny, was the result of deteriorated rubber in the mount allowing movement. Cheap and easy fix

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                        Every clunk I've ever felt in a tranny, was the result of deteriorated rubber in the mount allowing movement. Cheap and easy fix
                        Jeezz I hope it's something that simple. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Any chance the carrier bearing is out ? That will thunk and click..

Comment

To me this is the automotive equivalent of an old wives tale. I know around the same time I did the trans fluid and filter change I also did a gear oil change on the rear end. This was all done before I did a long trip and although everything went fine on the trip, over the next year or so I started getting a perceptible whine and I got it rebuilt. Granted I know I didn't follow any sort of prescribed maintenance schedule when it came to changing out the trans and rear end fluids but I've never beat up in either.

I'm going to go ahead and get the trans fluid and filter change done this week and go from there. I'm planning on buying a new(ish) truck this year and this may or may not accelerate those plans.
                            The rest of the story is that people usually wait until the trans is slipping, clunking, or not shifting correctly, then change the filter. It's better to follow the maintenance schedule. Not picking at you, just describing issues I've seen people go thru.
                            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                            86 SVO - Sold
                            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

To me this is the automotive equivalent of an old wives tale.
                              Could be, but it held true in my case. Have a Honda civic that had 160k+ miles at the time, and changed the trans fluid (5spd) just thinking normal maintenance. Trans was fine before and then shortly after couldn't get it in 5th or reverse. The guy at i35 transmissions told me when it comes to a car with that many miles, kind of a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" deal

Comment

Working...
                              X