Soldering Iron - recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering Iron - recommendations?

I am getting ready to put a new MegasquirtIII system together for my car and need to get a pretty decent soldering iron.

Up until now, I've used the standard plug in type with the screw in tip. The tip for it is pretty blunt and has about a .050" flat on the end. For the electronics I'll be doing, it's tough to use it without a complete point.

FWIW, I can't really sharpen it (I don't think).. if you do that, the solder would stick to it, no?

Any suggestions on a decent soldering iron?

I like the soldering stations where you can control the heat output. I have a WES51 from Weller. It's runs @ $120 or so depending on where you get it. If you need to borrow it let me know.
    It happens to be a well thought out and reasoned dissertation on drug use and a lyrical cost/benefit analysis of various kinds of drugs, drawing the conclusion that beer is the best of them all.

Comment

Weller make decent irons at a modest price. FYI you can and should sharpen your tip when neccessary. Also tips are extremely cheap and should be replaced when you can't sharpen them any more..

It is a good idea to keep a piece of wet sponge or wet paper towel handy when soldering. Wipe your tip clean regularly.
      Last edited by S_K; 02-07-2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jtm98snake View Post
        I like the soldering stations where you can control the heat output. I have a WES51 from Weller. It's runs @ $120 or so depending on where you get it. If you need to borrow it let me know.
        For the amount of this stuff I'm doing now days, I'll just buy one - I appreciate the offer though. I'm gonna look that one up though!

Originally posted by S_K View Post
        Weller make decent irons at a modest price. FYI you can and should sharpen your tip when neccessary. Also tips are extremely cheap and should be replaced when you can't sharpen them any more..
        I was under the impression that if you sharpened the tips the chrome would come off (obviously) and that the solder stuck to it?

Shit, if I can sharpen them - I'll put them in the lathe and make 'em REAL sharp!

Comment

you should be able to sharpen it, then just flow some solder on the tip when done to to re-tin it. I usually use a fine steel or brass brush to wipe excess solder or clean the tip from time to time.

Comment

The coating is usually bright electorplated solder. Just looks like chrome.

Comment

For what you're doing, a solder station wold be the best bet. I use a propane powered one with changeable tips that works great.

I regularly clean and sharpen my tips, and they work great when you tin it again. Keep a wet sponge next to where you're working to keep it clean.

Comment

Get a blue point/snapon.
                One day at a time.

Comment

this one owns all other handhelds gets hot quick and has a small light, its a weller with a craftsman sticker over it. mines over 4 yrs old and use it everyday at the dealership

Comment

Fry's has a good selection, at least the one at olympus and 635 does. They also sell the replacement tips if you want to go that way. Last time I was there they had some pretty sharp pointed ones.

Comment

This

or this is the one i use and 15 bucks works great

both at the home depot

RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN AND WIRING GURU!!!!

Comment

^ thats just like the snap-on one. I used to use it daily at cartoys.

Doubles as a torch.
                        One day at a time.

Comment

For doing electronics work you don't want to use a 400 watt iron. What you need is a nice soldering station. The Weller mentioned is a good one.

Some alternatives:
                          (Digital Temp Control, 99.95):
                          **Replacement:**[TOL-10553](http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10553). We've replaced this iron with the Hakko model.This page is for reference only. Temper

(Analog, 79.95):
                          **Replacement:**[TOL-10707](http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10707). We've switched to a different brand of iron. Although it's cheaper, the replacement pe

Comment

Soldering stations work great if you are working on a bench but for something more Mobile I like gas soldering irons like the Master Ultratorches, Mac tools also makes a great one too. I have 2 Master Ultratorchs that are about 13 years old and still work. I like the gas Soldering Irons the best unless I'm doing straight bench work. They get very hot and can solder thick gauge wire with no problems. Here is one of the Master Ultratorches I have.

Last edited by Dan03mach; 02-09-2011, 11:31 AM.
                            03 Dark Shadow Grey Mach1
                            "SMOKEY"

"SLOW STREET CAR"

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.. FWIW, this work is bench work and all small stuff. I am assembling a megasquirt board for my car.

Comment

Working...
                              X