Transmission Suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Suggestions...

Getting my car tuned next saturday... I'm HOPING to be ~450rwhp. Im running a Texas Motorsports HP350, but I baby it. Haven't launched the car one time. When I get into it, its usually from 40mph+ and no hard shifting. So I hope to make it last @ this power level.

BUT, I am planning a 408 build, with my vortech, and hope to be between 600 - 700hp.

This car does not see the track. Street driven, weekend toy, and yes I DO drive on highways.

Haven't decided between manual vs auto, but honestly, I'd probably go with whatever is cheaper. I've always had manual in my mustangs, but it'd be nice to run auto so I can stay in boost longer during shifts.

The research I have done indicates I do not want a C4. maybe a 4r70w? Seems salvage yards have them ~$500 - $600 out of 99-04 V6 mustangs. How much could I expect to spend on converter & having the trans built up a little?

Other suggestions?

Have you thought about an AOD?

They are expensive to build to handle that kind of power but It would give you OD for highway driving.

I like to drive the car myself so I will always lean towards a manual, even if it means not being as fast at the strip

Comment

I have a C4 - it was put in the car when the previous owner toasted a T5 pretty much every time he raced. I would either do a stronger manual or an AOD if you want to actually drive your car more than just a little. I guess I'll see how much more annoying when my 408 is up and running this month.

Comment

Why aod over a 4r70w?

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
          Why aod over a 4r70w?

An AOD doesn't need a controller to shift. Although I'm leaning to the 4r myself for my galaxie.
          Originally posted by soap
          i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

Why aod over a 4r70w?
            Bell housing, for starters.

Mike's trick shift for a aod/4r70 hybrid and a bauman controller.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
              Bell housing, for starters.

Mike's trick shift for a aod/4r70 hybrid and a bauman controller.
              Same bell housing, with minor differences like some ears that need to be cut to clear headers,

I swapped in a 4R70W out of a 94 F150 into my Mark VII several years ago.
              I have the Baumanator, which is now obsolete, The next generation is the Optishift. If the Optishift is indeed superior to the Baumanator, the holy sh$t.

You have complete control over shift RPM, shift firmness and when the converter locks up. Shift firmness is a function of TPS, so you can program it to shift comfortably when you're putzing around, but the deeper into the throttle, the harder the shift.
              You can taylor the WOT shift RPM for each gear.
              Not only can you lock up the converter when you want...in any gear you want...but you can even program the time differential between the tranny dropping into O/D and the converter locking.
              I'm telling you a programmable 4R is second only to boost or big cubes for the fun factor.

There are still thousands of 4R70Ws behind the up to 99 V-6 Mustang and some of the later F-150s that have the Windsor bell house pattern.

The big drawback is the shifter situation. For you Mustang guys the easy fix is swapping in a 94 up shifter or an aftermarket.

The 2nd drawback is the price...but it's worth it.

Comment

3rd drawback is the cost of a quality AODE/4R70W converter.
                But again, worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by 90MarkVII View Post
                  3rd drawback is the cost of a quality AODE/4R70W converter.
                  But again, worth it.
                  About $1000 for a really good one. So that's a little higher than some other trans like he said but probably worth it in your situation.
                  903-870-8109

Thank you:
                  2JM Diesel & Fabrication - for the chassis and tuning
                  Freak Show Performance - for the great transmission
                  Jimmy Patton for the pit help
                  Chris Fowler for the motor work
                  TRZ Motorsports - thanks Mike
                  NRC Motorsports - thanks Bob
                  Team Z Motorsports - thanks Dave
                  Forced Inductions - thanks Jose
                  Work Turbochargers - thanks Reed

Comment

Man I'm so torn. Now I'm leaning towards the T-56 Magnum kit from D&D. So expensive though...

Comment

Man I'm so torn. Now I'm leaning towards the T-56 Magnum kit from D&D. So expensive though...
                      Just find used tremec..3550/TKO
                      07 GT500
                      05 SRT10
                      88 turbocoupe T-bird
                      93 Cobra
                      86 coupe
                      Ducati 848

Comment

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post
                        Just find used tremec..3550/TKO
                        If I'm going to spend money, I'm going to go for the best I can afford.... And from everything I've read, t56 > tko.

Comment

Well now after talking to mikes trick shift, I'm leaning towards the 4r70w. Considerably cheaper than a t-56 Magnum, and will hold the same power...

Anyone have a 4r70w in a foxbody that can give me a demonstration?

Comment

Well now after talking to mikes trick shift, I'm leaning towards the 4r70w. Considerably cheaper than a t-56 Magnum, and will hold the same power...

Anyone have a 4r70w in a foxbody that can give me a demonstration?
                            Cheaper, but not as fun and violent as the 6 speed

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                              Cheaper, but not as fun and violent as the 6 speed
                              I know. I'm so damn torn. It's almost half the cost... Which is making it really difficult!

Comment

Working...
                              X