91 LX is dead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 LX is dead...

Car has been running fine and no issues until today. KOEO, everything powers up like it should, roll down the window, then turn the key to start and nothing, car is electrically dead. 12V at battery. I have no electrical power to the car though. Failed ignition switch? blown fuse? I bought a Haynes manual but it is worthless. I have no idea what fuse under the dash is what. I also don't know how to use a multi meter(had to youtube it to check my battery). I'm not good at electrical stuff in general.

Unsure where/how to start to figure this out. Anyone able to help?
    1995 Cobra #404
    1994 Cobra #1968 **traded**
    1991 LX Hatch 5.0-Sold

This could be a few things.
    Check voltage at main fuse key off, then check for drop when you key on. If there is any drop at all take note. They hit the switch to start. See what the voltage does.
    Could be a bad ground cable, bad positive cable to the main fuse. Could be a dead/near dead cell in the battery. You can have 12v with no load and 5 volts with load.

Comment

Which one is the main fuse? Is it under hood or dash? I bought a Haynes book hoping it had fuse locations but it doesn't.
      I was checking my grounds, and found that wiggling the ground from the battery caused a bunch of relays to click, so I checked my connection at both ends and both are tight. As soon as I hit the key, or run a screwdriver across the relay, the starter will not work and I loose all power again. Have to wiggle the ground from battery again till I hear relays/my lights come back on. The battery terminal is tightened fully but can still wiggle it off the post by hand. I know it needs to be replaced soon. No corrosion on either terminal.

Can a failed starter cause this issue?
      1995 Cobra #404
      1991 LX Hatch 5.0-Sold

Comment

Loose/dirty battery connection.

Comment

Had a similar problem last week. Everything worked but wouldn't start. Battery showed 12.2v but would not turn the starter, just clicked. Turned out to be a dry cell. Popped caps off battery, refilled and charged. Fixed.

Comment

Before you dig too far into the electrical, check the battery connections. Sounds like you've got an issue at the battery. If it has repair type battery terminals, see if you can wiggle the wires at the clamps. If so take everything apart, clean well, assemble and try to start it.

Comment

igniton switch or battery cables

Comment

I'll pull and clean both battery cables and all their connections tomorrow.
                1995 Cobra #404
                1991 LX Hatch 5.0-Sold

Comment

Just trade it..
                  07 GT500
                  05 SRT10
                  88 turbocoupe T-bird
                  93 Cobra
                  86 coupe
                  Ducati 848

Comment