No announcement yet.

Crank no start 90 lx 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tps fixed it? grats man, now go enjoy a lengthy drive before it rains this weekend.

Comment

No lol it's still the same (starts out of time, won't start when times perfect)....I haven't checked the tps. It was fine before, do they just go out?

Comment

Originally posted by 86lxttop View Post
        No lol it's still the same (starts out of time, won't start when times perfect)....I haven't checked the tps. It was fine before, do they just go out?
        not usually, maybe idle is too low? when u advance the timing the idle will go up. i dunno that is the strangest thing i have ever heard of honestly. my car does wierd shit, but not that wierd.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
          TFI, pickup coil, and ignition coil. I usually change all three at the same time, cause they all start to die at the same time.
          do this and be done w it!

Comment

Originally posted by Rtanner View Post
            do this and be done w it!

I'm not going to spend $200 on stuff for that to "maybe" be the problem. All of those items check out and work fine. Something other than all of that is causing to problem. Surely it's happened to someone before..

Comment

I'm gonna pull this up one more time to see if anyone has any suggestions... Car will only start when the timing is way advanced...once running it runs like crap until i move the distributor counter clockwise. Swapped distributors and they work the same but used the same tfi module on both, stock ignition, crane lx92 coil, new plugs and wires, new cap and rotor. Please help lol

Comment

Fuel pressure at 38-40 psi, runs rich and might burn a little oil (valve seals)

Comment

Did you try restabbing the distributor to another tooth? I'd try that before anymore parts swapping.

Or blame Whiteboy for selling you bunkass parts and flame him on facebook...
                  Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Its obvious that he has other issues, but reading comprehension owns him. The answer has been given many times over and he cant seem to grasp it.
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I've established the answers and troubleshooter them all. Judging by when I was timing it, it's on the right tooth. It woby miraculously jump teeth from one day to the next. It's doing the exact same thing it was before I swapped distributors. Started it one day and it ran flawlessly, turned it off for an hour, turned it on to leave and it acted like it was going to start for a millisecond and after that just cranked and cranked. After all that I discovered later that it would only start with the timing advanced

Comment

Have you checked all the grounds? I think there is 14 different grounds. This can cause your problem

Have you tried swapping in a different computer?

Comment

Put the OE coil on it.

Comment

I tested my Crane ignition box today and it's still good so I'm going to reinstall it. None of the grounds were touched...maybe one of them randomly it's getting a good connection? That'd suck for sure..

Comment

How did you test the tfi ignition module, I'm assuming you had a decent lab scope to test the pip and spout signals, also the square wave signal for the hall effect sensor to have a crisp on off waveform and pulling all the way to ground, etc. My point is that without proper equipment you have no way of verifying if the electronics are working correctly or not. Even the module testers at the parts stores don't simulate real world running environments, but they are better than nothing. I would recommend leaving the crane box off the car until your problem is resolved, the less components in system, the less you have to contend with. Double check the simple stuff, make certain your firing order is correct, verify that the balancer hasn't slipped and spun, get a timing light so you know the timing is set correct, not just guessing because it sounds good. Checking the balancer is fairly easy, remove #1 spark plug and use a solid piece of wire or a screwdriver, slowly rotate the motor around until the piston comes up and quits moving and see if the timing marks line up. DO NOT USE THE STARTER TO BYMP THE MOTOR TO DO THIS TURN THE CRSNK BT HAND OR WITH A RATCHET.

You say you dont want to throw money away in parts you know are good and I don't blame you, but you are going to have to find a way to systematically diagnose your problem or you're just running in circles shooting in the dark.

Comment

It's an aftermarket balancer that I don't think can slip. Have not tested the tfi module yet. I could try to re-time it completely with the distributor out and find top dead center again but I feel like the timing isn't the problem since it was running fine to running how it is currently. Nothing was basically changed in between there

Comment

Working...
                                X