Crank no start 90 lx 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank no start 90 lx 5.0

Drove my car up to the bar the other day and it ran great on the way. Took it out for all this nice weather we've been having! Was in the bar for about an hour and went back out start it and it cranked and almost started but shut off. I thought I might not have turned the key long enough so I went to crank it again and it just cranked and cranked with no start obviously. I can hear the fuel pump turning on so I'm almost positive it isn't anything with the fuel circuit. I have a fuel pressure gauge but cant really crank the car and look at it at the same time. I have a stock high mileage distributor with a brand new cap and rotor, Crane HI6R ignition box with matching Crane LX92 coil (meant for the model) computer is original and unmolested, plugs and wires are all new etc, etc ,etc. My question is what short cuts can I do to narrow down and find the culprit? Obviously I can take a plug wire off and put a screw driver in the end and see if it sparks. What's the easiest way to test the TFI module, coil, aftermarket box, computer etc? I've already skimmed through the Mustang "crank, no start" check list they have all over the internet, but im just seeing if you guys know easier way to test components? Let me know! - James

Check spark, if that checks out then get a noid light and see if your injectors are firing

Comment

Man, it sounds like the Halls Effect Switch inside the distributor. It was easier to replace the entire DIS and almost the same money as replacing the HES than to go to the trouble of taking apart the DIS to get it out.
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I'd check the dizzy like Henry suggested, but I'd also check that starter relay solenoid, it's next to the ignition coil, those are notorious for going bad without warning.

Comment

TFI, pickup coil, and ignition coil. I usually change all three at the same time, cause they all start to die at the same time.

Comment

Check the coil and ignition box. I went through three of those coils before I wised up and put the OEM back on.

Comment

Hooked up an ignition spark tester to a spark plug wire and didn't appear to see any spark, then hooked it up to the coil and got no spark (although it's extremely hard to see outside right now since the sun is so bright) then bypassed the ignition box and tried it on the coil again and didn't see any spark. I should probably try all this at night since it extremely hard to see a spark on the tester...

Comment

If your not getting any spark, its the dizzy or the TFS or like Sailor said or even stater relay solenoid. The last tow are only $20.xx or so, worth changing before doing the dizzy, especially if they are old and have never been changed out.
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

If the coil isn't sparking then it's either that or whatever is before that. Coil, ignition box, solenoid, computer ?

Comment

My ignition switch is basically new.

Comment

And starter solenoid

Comment

Check voltage going to the coil.
                        07 GT500
                        05 SRT10
                        88 turbocoupe T-bird
                        93 Cobra
                        86 coupe
                        Ducati 848

Comment

I see now...I just talked to a buddy and realized the tfi module kind of works in unicine with the coil and that I should loosen the distributor but and move it a bit and it should accurate the fuel pump and injectors

Comment

My vote is for the TFI. I've had several fail about the same way. The car seemed to be running fine when I shut it off, but would just crank over when I tried to start it and it had no spark.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys! I got another distributor from Whiteboy

Comment

Working...
                              X