Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My tires hit my coilovers, is this common?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My tires hit my coilovers, is this common?

Im guessing i need to send the car for an alignment -

I installed coilovers, CC plates and my front tires hit the coilover.
    Its just a "CH" , will an alignment fix this issue ?

Tire size : 245/45/17
    (note : Spacer installed in pic, thats the only way i gained clearance , the driver side hits with the spacer)

Last edited by HECDOGGIE; 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM.

What kind of wheels?

Comment

aftermarket 93 cobra wheels ...

It also seems after test fitting my fender, that the tire will hit the coilover AND the fender !

Comment

I have that size tire with aftermarket 93 cobra wheels, MM suspension parts and it is close, but it fits all around. I remember having to loosen the fender bolts and pull the fenders out a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
          I have that size tire with aftermarket 93 cobra wheels, MM suspension parts and it is close, but it fits all around. I remember having to loosen the fender bolts and pull the fenders out a bit.
          Hmm.... Initially the wheels woulndt go on, it wasnt until i added spacers that they fit...

Comment

Do you know the offset or BS of your wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
              Do you know the offset or BS of your wheels?
              I do not, i need to look into that. I figured the problem was greater than offset due to the fact that it hits the fender as well.... its pretty much wedged between the wheel well and coilover.

Comment

Do you have stock rotors? If so, did you happen to get/have gt rotors and not ones for the cobras?

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
                  Do you have stock rotors? If so, did you happen to get/have gt rotors and not ones for the cobras?
                  I have a Cobra WITHOUT Cobra rotors, my guess is the rotors are wrong as well -

Comment

Originally posted by HECDOGGIE View Post
                    Yup!

Comment

it probably has regular gt rotors and the aftermarket wheels should fit fine...
                      sigpic

Comment

Is this on just one side? I had a '93 cobra with the same issue except it had the stock suspension still, save for lowering springs. Turned out that the frame had been tweeked to one side just enough to cause the same issue you are having. Car had to go on the frame machine to pull it back into specs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
                        --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HECDOGGIE View Post
                          Hector,

That is probably the issue. REAL 93 Cobra wheels had extra backspacing so they could use disk brake rear ends from a Turbo Coupe that was an inch or so wider than the typical mustangs rear end. On the font, the used a brake disk with an extra thick "hat" to match the TC rear.

Considering your wheels are aftermarket, theres no telling if they have typical mustang backspacing or 93 cobra backspacing.

They also have offset strut bolts that you can use to push the strut body away from the tire.

Old corral link:

Ebay link:
                          Get the best deals for Ingalls Front Camber Kit 79 04 Ford Mustang Cobra at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Comment

Originally posted by TRAXX View Post
                            Hector,

That is probably the issue. REAL 93 Cobra wheels had extra backspacing so they could use disk brake rear ends from a Turbo Coupe that was an inch or so wider than the typical mustangs rear end. On the font, the used a brake disk with an extra thick "hat" to match the TC rear.

Considering your wheels are aftermarket, theres no telling if they have typical mustang backspacing or 93 cobra backspacing.

They also have offset strut bolts that you can use to push the strut body away from the tire.

Old corral link:

Ebay link:
                            http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...d=230189168662

Good info .... thanks!!

Comment

Use a 2 1/2" spring instead of a 2 5/8"
                              it will gain a little clearance
                              JamesB Chassis is looking for a fabricator/general shop help, call or PM for info.

Comment

Working...
                              X