06 Mustang GT-Cam shaft sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06 Mustang GT-Cam shaft sensor

Check engine light is on and Autozone said it's a cam shaft sensor code. I've just replaced them and will see if that squares away the problem. However, I've read that this is usually indicative of alternator failure.

1. Is this one correct? http://www.paperformance.com/scripts...+added+to+cart.

2. Is this necessary as they state? http://www.paperformance.com/scripts...p?idproduct=89

3. Is this a pretty simple swap?
    Last edited by racegirl; 03-22-2014, 01:11 PM.

Well hello Becky. As usual, always fix the cheaper problem first, it sounds like the CSS should fix the problem. I wouldn't upgrade to a higher AMP Alternator if you don't need it, but if you do, I would do the wire upgrade as well.
    You usually don't need the ALT unless you have upgraded the stereo or added a DIS 6 or some other higher ignition system or bigger fuel pumps.

Hope this helps...'Henry

edit; BTW the batteries on these 05 and up mustangs because of their location don't last very long, I would change that before the ALT.
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Thanks Henry,

I'll def. look at other alternators as per your suggestion because this is a 100% stock vehicle.

The main problem is I need the check engine light to go away so I can get it inspected. I've just gotten a ticket, ugh...although I was pulled over for no front LP...who even cares about that any more (obviously, DPS). It has some intermittent power issues, but I chalked that up to the cold weather because that has always been typical with this vehicle.

There are a few other issues that seem to be indicative of an alternator issue, but will explore the 'cheaper' fixes first. I'm fairly confident I can change it out but the throttle body seems to be on top of the alternator assembly. I've never tinkered with this car, so forgive the elementary knowledge/jargon.

Comment

If there is an alternator/starter rebuilder in your area they should be able to perform a diode test on your alternator. I'm pretty sure they can do it with it on the car. I know our Snapon Charging system tester / battery load tester does a diode test on the alternator. If it has a diode bad, a factory replacement or aftermarket unit should suffice to fix your issue, or you could have the rebuilder repair it. Charging system / alternator problems can have all kinds of adverse electrical effects on a car.

Comment

Working...
        X