Cylinder Head Suggestion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder Head Suggestion...

Going on my 87 GT, Vortech S-trim, E cam (willing to change though).

Im currently running the stock heads and intake.

Couple of ppl have suggested the 11R 190's but I just don't have $2k to drop on heads right now. All I want to do is get to ~450rwhp, and be happy. So I'm looking for decent HCI pkg, and the rest will be done with a pulley change.

Suggestions for decent, but not top of the line?

Are most heads good right out of the box? I have seen talks of having them checked by a machine shop anyways even though they are new... I've hears ppl say get them bare and put your own valvetrain in, etc.

I'm a cylinder head newb.

Get a set of trickflows.

Comment

Trickflow 170's ~ $1100. Or someone has a set of edelbrock e street heads in the classifieds for $700
      Scott Ganow
      Lone Star Performance
      16300 Midway Rd
      Addison, TX 75001
      214-630-5006

Comment

I got the Trick Flow stage one heads cam and intake and made almost 300 rwhp. Love the look too with TF valve covers.

Comment

Would I be better off doing something like a whole pkg?

Something like this:

Or

Anderson Ford Motorsport is the ultimate source of high-quality Ford Mustang performance and racing parts. We provide parts for classic and modern engines.

Comment

It's up to you. I personally like to piece together components to work with my particular setup. If you still have the stock shortblock, you need to keep intake valve size 1.90, unless its the trickflow, they're designed to use the 2.02 intake valves on stock shortblock.

I would do Holley Systemax, trickflow 170s and a custom cam.
            Scott Ganow
            Lone Star Performance
            16300 Midway Rd
            Addison, TX 75001
            214-630-5006

Comment

Originally posted by 00KBGT View Post
              It's up to you. I personally like to piece together components to work with my particular setup. If you still have the stock shortblock, you need to keep intake valve size 1.90, unless its the trickflow, they're designed to use the 2.02 intake valves on stock shortblock.

I would do Holley Systemax, trickflow 170s and a custom cam.
              Systemax 2?

Comment

The old trickflow twisted wedge heads now called the 170s i think a decent cam and a systemax2 and your s trim will be at the limits of your block.

Its a well proven combo for 450-550 depending on what you have the s trim pullied at and porting and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                  The old trickflow twisted wedge heads now called the 170s i think a decent cam and a systemax2 and your s trim will be at the limits of your block.

Its a well proven combo for 450-550 depending on what you have the s trim pullied at and porting and such.
                  Is there anything wrong with buying the 170's new? Does anything need to be changed on them out of the box?

I found a used set, but again, I'm a total newb when it comes to cylinder heads, so I don't completely understand the whole picture on chamber sizes etc. I've seen ppl talk about swapping out springs, blah blah blah. The more I read, the more confused I get!

Is this a "good deal"?

Comment

If all the intake valves were replaced then I would be asking why they were replaced as well as for a copy of the itemized machine shop invoice.

Comment

Im always to chicken to buy heads used.

Comment

Don't forget to add in price for gaskets,head studs,fluids,rtv, push rods,rockers ect.... Always cost to do upgrades. Buy new or used from someone you know won't buy random heads from anyone

Comment

I'm not opposed to buying new...

Latemodel has these: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ock-Ford-Heads

or these:

Can't say I understand the differences here... but they are close to the same price.

Comment

Cylinder Head Suggestion...

The more expensive set you linked to above has the upgraded dual "beehive" style valve spring that is good to .600" lift. The cheaper set has the standard single spring good to .540" lift.

Comment

Originally posted by FOKAI View Post
                              Don't forget to add in price for gaskets,head studs,fluids,rtv, push rods,rockers ect.... Always cost to do upgrades. Buy new or used from someone you know won't buy random heads from anyone
                              Oh yea, didn't think about that... so $1200 heads will end up being $1700 by the time its said and done with?

Comment

Working...
                              X