Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

converted my 3G altenator to a one wire connection. .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G14CLASSIFIED View Post
    Still running good?
    Yep. Did a conversion on a buddies 91 coupe. He has been daily driving for a few weeks now. Works great. Mine has been sitting a lot cause of the crapy weather.. cranks right up!
    Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
    90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

I'll ask the stupid uninformed question: wtf is a "3G" alternator, and what's the need/use for one?

I've heard of them, just not familiar with them.

Sent from my LGL45C using Tapatalk 2
      "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

3g is in reference to the case design. No external fan is the first give away and the larger case size. Capable of producing more amps so there is the plus. Only having to run your charge wire from the battery makes this conversion in the OP worth it.
        Last edited by KBScobravert; 03-14-2014, 07:07 AM.
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Just ordered one for the 69.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
            Can you send me a picture of the instructions when you get them? I lost mine.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
              sure, says due monday.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Thanks. No rush I am waiting on a new alternator bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  Why not just run a GM alt? Thats what I have
                  Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                    Why not just run a GM alt? Thats what I have
                    cause it aint no dang ole chev-ol-lay.

Comment

No instructions included.

Comment

I have the conversion done on my powermaster 200amp 3g. Finally got it up and running and now this....

So 5plus hours after the engine was shut off, everything is ambient temp except the alternator. 110* Hmm (scratches chin). Seems that the 1wire conversion kit is kepping the alternator turned on. I pulled power source and am going to see if the temp drops down then give it power again and see if it rises. Worst case scenario I will swap that regulator and run a key on 12v like the factory.

Comment

I do wiring on lots of other peoples project cars and personal do not like 1 wire alternators. The OEs came up with remote voltage sensing for a reason and it works very well.

If you are going to use a 3g alternator I would stick with one under 140 amps. Unless you have an 8 rib belt or dual v belts you will never be able to get 200 amps out of a 3g alternator and even if you could it would over heat very quickly. High amp alternators also have reduced output at idle.
                          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                            I do wiring on lots of other peoples project cars and personal do not like 1 wire alternators. The OEs came up with remote voltage sensing for a reason and it works very well.

If you are going to use a 3g alternator I would stick with one under 140 amps. Unless you have an 8 rib belt or dual v belts you will never be able to get 200 amps out of a 3g alternator and even if you could it would over heat very quickly. High amp alternators also have reduced output at idle.
                            I am running a powermaster 200amp 3g. Makes 130amp at ifle, 160 at cruise and 200 full tilt. I installed a 1 wire voltage regulator which powermaster now sells as a complete deal. I think I will call them just to make sure that is gonna work with their build.

Comment

I am running a powermaster 200amp 3g. Makes 130amp at ifle, 160 at cruise and 200 full tilt. I installed a 1 wire voltage regulator which powermaster now sells as a complete deal. I think I will call them just to make sure that is gonna work with their build.
                              Alternators only feed the load to keep the voltage at a preset level; sort of like how a fuel pump keeps up the pressure at a preset level until it can not do so anymore. If you had a 200 amp load on your car for more then a moment or two the belt would slip or burn right through or it would melt most of the guts of your alternator. The is no advantage to a 1 wire alternator when you are running several high load items and there is a significant down side to running one. Keep 1 wire alternators on farm tractors where they belong.

These guys are rock solid on their automotive wiring tech and you should order their manual and pay attention to what they say in regards to 1 wire alternators.

Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Working...
                              X