Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One step forward, two steps back :( (pictures inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One step forward, two steps back :( (pictures inside)

Went to bolt down the headers on my ls-coupe last night to find that the rear-most header bolt would not thread, of course, a broken bolt in the head (at the very rear of the motor). Have no idea how I didn't notice I broke a bolt off when I was removing the manifolds back in July. I tried to get the bolt out with the head still on the motor, I leveled the face of the broken bolt (which was recessed into the head) then center punched it, tried some left handed drill bits (which are my FIL's) and it didn't barely make a dent in it other then breaking the 3/16th lefty bit.

Ended up giving up on the dream of getting it out with it in the engine bay, I pulled the head, drilled on it, tried an easy out and broke it off in the bolt (again, one of my FIL's tools). Used a Dremel and a carbide bit and was able to eat through enough of the easy-out that I ended up getting a larger easy-out into the hole, cranked down on it and to my complete surprise (I had made absolutely no headway at this point, other then breaking my FIL's tools, and my efforts were seeming increasingly frivolous), it started backing out.

So now I've got the broken bolt out, trying to consider what I should do at this point, thinking about pulling the other head while I'm at it (not much to it at this point).

Would you:
    1- Pull the other head (seems like a no-brainer)
    2- ARP head studs (or just bolts) since the stockers are TTY and will have to be replaced anyway.
    3- Which headgaskets I should consider (eventually want to boost this engine).
    4- I guess now would be the easiest time to do valve springs.
    5- Any idea who sells a short left handed 3/16th drill bit?
    6- Anyone got an AllData print out on head gasket replacement for 2005 Cadillac Escalade? (need torque sequence, specs, valve adjustment specs)

Gotta love cars, a $1 header bolt is going to end up being a $300 adventure

Thanks!

Hopefully this will help you out some(torque specs are in the middle)...

Last edited by stangin4lyfe; 01-25-2011, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Thanks! Thats how I removed them (well, opposite of that sequence obviously).

Any input on the other questions?

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
        Went to bolt down the headers on my ls-coupe last night to find that the rear-most header bolt would not thread, of course, a broken bolt in the head (at the very rear of the motor). Have no idea how I didn't notice I broke a bolt off when I was removing the manifolds back in July. I tried to get the bolt out with the head still on the motor, I leveled the face of the broken bolt (which was recessed into the head) then center punched it, tried some left handed drill bits (which are my FIL's) and it didn't barely make a dent in it other then breaking the 3/16th lefty bit.

Ended up giving up on the dream of getting it out with it in the engine bay, I pulled the head, drilled on it, tried an easy out and broke it off in the bolt (again, one of my FIL's tools). Used a Dremel and a carbide bit and was able to eat through enough of the easy-out that I ended up getting a larger easy-out into the hole, cranked down on it and to my complete surprise (I had made absolutely no headway at this point, other then breaking my FIL's tools, and my efforts were seeming increasingly frivolous), it started backing out.

So now I've got the broken bolt out, trying to consider what I should do at this point, thinking about pulling the other head while I'm at it (not much to it at this point).

Would you:
        1- Pull the other head (seems like a no-brainer)
        2- ARP head studs (or just bolts) since the stockers are TTY and will have to be replaced anyway.
        3- Which headgaskets I should consider (eventually want to boost this engine).
        4- I guess now would be the easiest time to do valve springs.
        5- Any idea who sells a short left handed 3/16th drill bit?
        6- Anyone got an AllData print out on head gasket replacement for 2005 Cadillac Escalade? (need torque sequence, specs, valve adjustment specs)

Gotta love cars, a $1 header bolt is going to end up being a $300 adventure

Thanks!
        There is no cure for your disease.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
          There is no cure for your disease.
          Very true, I've given it some thought, I think I'm just going to grab an OEM head gasket, some OEM bolts, and put this thing back together before I have any other great ideas (like fly-cutting the pistons, installing new springs, milling the heads, doing head studs, pulling the other head, etc.) If I actually go through with "just putting it back together" it will be the first time I've ever opened an engine up and not ended up with 10x more $ in it then I initially planned.

I think the itch is just too strong to finally drive the damn thing.

Comment

Oh how i hate broken bolts, they can turn a simple job into a huge giant PIA.

On the other, its your choice. but if you have the money and the time, you might as well stud it. I have MLS headgaskets on my nitrous motor and have heard that alot of people use them on their turbo setups also.

If the valve springs are questionable, now is the time to do it, although they are pretty easy to do with the head on the car also. I would stay away from comp cam's springs though.
            Vortex rear stand $75
            8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
            My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
            but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
            11 4 door
            13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Go ahead n use studs. Swap the gaskets for the fel-pro MLS gaskets. They are 5 layer vs 3 of GM.

Change the valvesprings. I've got the tools to do them with heads on or off the car. A little beer goes a long way for me lol

Comment

Originally posted by Beenfetchedlately View Post
                Go ahead n use studs. Swap the gaskets for the fel-pro MLS gaskets. They are 5 layer vs 3 of GM.

Change the valvesprings. I've got the tools to do them with heads on or off the car. A little beer goes a long way for me lol
                If I were you, I would take this guy up on his offer!
                Beer's cheap!!

Comment

Working...
                X