Looking at '03 F250, school me on 6.0 PS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jluv View Post
    I love my '05. It's got 140k on the stock gaskets. It currently has a Banks exhaust and SCT Street tune. Also has the blue fuel pressure spring.

It got an egr delete and new oil cooler at about 110k. I've also had to replace the water pump, steering pump, brakes, ball joints, and fan clutch. Not cheap, but I plan to drive it for many more years.

I've had the stiction issues this winter. I picked up an Edge CTS monitor, beefier FICM with Atlas 80 tune, and some Rev-x. It's all going in next week and I'm also changing to 5w40.

The EGR delete is non-negotiable. Do that right away. Also, low battery voltage kills the FICM, so keep an eye on that. Romp on it every now and then to keep the turbo vanes moving properly. As far as studs, I'm gonna a wait until I need them. I'm not making big power or even driving it hard every day. So far, so good.

I have a set of Aries stainless step bars in good shape that I will make you a great deal on. Also one of the upgraded higher-amp Ford alternators and two Interstate Megatron Plus batteries, less than 18 months old. I upgraded to power steps and ridiculous alternator and batts (for my stereo system) and now I just want the old stuff out of the way. PM me if interested.

Good luck with your truck!
    Iv'e had my 6.0 for six years now and still on stock head bolts. Hell i tried to pop the head gasket when it was under warranty. Even running IPD extreme race tune while pulling a 38" camper up Ranger Hill with the cruise on 75.
    You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

jluv,
      you going to run that SCT and and atlas 80 tune together? That seems like a lot for the 6.0 to handle.

I've had to over see enough 6.0 trucks in a fleet to understand they are very finicky trucks. I've got a 07 that runs out of warranty in May this year that just had a head, piston, and injector replaced because the tip broke off of the injector.

I've had trucks that have had two sets of injectors before 150k miles, had a 05 that had two short blocks, 20ish injectors, turbo, 3 cylinder heads, and all the other little stuff like the oil cooler/egr/egr cooler. They have known problems that can be made better. I don't enjoy break downs so I would never modify one power wise unless it was a toy. They tow fine stock, I just pulled my 32' cargo trailer grossing almost 12k at 75mph without a problem with my stock (egr delete) 07 F350.

Out of around 30 trucks or so I've only replaced one ficm. I've replaced a lot of cooling fans.

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
        jluv,
        you going to run that SCT and and atlas 80 tune together? That seems like a lot for the 6.0 to handle.
        Ya, I'm gonna give it a try. The Atlas 80 tune is supposed to work well with the SCT tunes. The tunes mostly "overlap", so I'm only expecting about a 20 hp increase from the Atlas 80 over what I already have with the SCT tune, and it's supposed to "safe" on the head gaskets because it doesn't add timing. It does increase EGTs, which is why I am installing the monitor at the same time to keep a close eye on that and everything else. The FICM tune is supposed to help throttle response and make it feel like a different truck. We'll see! I've been running that SCT canned "street" tune with no issues for a while now. I mostly drive like a grandpa, but I want it to be less sluggish during stop and go driving, and have a little bit of oomph on demand for the few times I do want it. It's worth noting that I never tow anything.

I figure if/when it does lift a head, I'll get studs and then I can have even more fun with the tuning. And it really is just a toy/road trip/camping vehicle. I have another vehicle myself, and they both sit a lot, because I carpool with my old lady in her vehicle to work and back most of the time.

If I do blow something up, I'll dig up this thread and let everyone know what not to do.

Comment

That is my favorite thing about my 6.4 is the egt while towing on the hottest tune always stay in decent range. I've pulled some pretty nice grades on I40 towing somewhat heavy and egt just slowly crept while I throttled to maintain 75 mph. I've got a little 20' camper that I've pulled a few times with the 6.4 and I've passed rows of cars on grades near northern arkansas that have the emergency sand pits for 18 wheelers. If you get tired of the 6.0 get a 6.4. I'm going to miss it.

Comment

That is my favorite thing about my 6.4 is the egt while towing on the hottest tune always stay in decent range. I've pulled some pretty nice grades on I40 towing somewhat heavy and egt just slowly crept while I throttled to maintain 75 mph. I've got a little 20' camper that I've pulled a few times with the 6.4 and I've passed rows of cars on grades near northern arkansas that have the emergency sand pits for 18 wheelers. If you get tired of the 6.0 get a 6.4. I'm going to miss it.
            Hell, I've been dumping tons of money and energy into this thing since I got it (mostly non-mechanical stuff), and it's almost paid off, so I plan to drive it until it rusts. If I ever get another truck, it will be whatever the newest one is at the time. Hopefully that will be 2020 or later.

Comment

Careful towing on a race tune. Just because the EGT is low, doesn't mean all the timing isn't putting that heat right into the piston crown
              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

With that said, I've seen some 6.4's stand up to outright abuse pulling in race tunes, but I wouldn't do it. If you're running an H&S, the timing map does not change on the fly
                http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I put 62k miles on my 06 6.0 last year and was very pleased with it. With that being said it is going in next week for Studs, OEM gaskets, 4" exhaust, tuner, oil cooler, and egr delete. I have already had the STC fitting and dummy plugs replaced.
                  2007 Silverado CC
                  1970 Mustang Coupe

True Street Motorsports. 972-542-9886

Comment

Working...
                  X