Looking at '03 F250, school me on 6.0 PS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at '03 F250, school me on 6.0 PS

Haven't owned a diesel truck since my '86 F250 (bought new). Found a decent '03 F250 with the 6.0 and auto with 121k on the odometer. Truck is up to date on maintenance and doesn't appear to have any mods.

All I'm looking for is something to drive on a semi daily basis and pull the race car on the weekends (20 ft open trailer for now, but might be upgrading to a 24'-28' enclosed next year).

What should I be looking out for on this one? Thanks for the help.

Either run far away or delete all the emissions and stud the heads. 03 6.0 is probably the most problematic diesel Ford has made between 1995 and 2014

Comment

Correct. "stock, from the factory" is not what you want in this vehicle, low miles or not.

Comment

Look for one with studs already a done or plan to do it out of the gate. Head studs, egr delete and a tune and it should be fine for your purposes. I plan to be looking for an 03-06 early next year as well. Those 3 things are the basic consensus
        07 f250-family truckster
        08 Denali -baby hauler
        52 f1-rust bucket
        05 Jeep tj. Buggy
        livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Check delta between oil and water temp. If a large difference you have a clogged oil cooler.

Delete EGR. This can be easily done by welding up the ends of the EGR.

If your head gaskets aren't blown don't mess with them. My 03 6.0 has 200,000 miles on them and still on the OEM gaskets and I run a FICM and ECM tune.

Injectors have a problem with sticking(stictation) when cold. Can be patched with a good 5w/40 synthetic and rev-x or archoil. I'm to the point where mine need to just be replaced.

Up-pipe bellows tend to crack after high mileage.

Your fuel pressure spring most likely needs to be replaced with a new ford "blue" spring. Through on some 6.4 banjo bolts while you are at it.

Maintenance is key. These 6.0's don't like dirty oil.

The 03, although the most "problematic" with the help of the aftermarket is starting to become the favorite year.

The transmissions also are notorious for the 3-5 shift flare(4th is rarely ever used, these are 6 speed autos) There is a solenoid you can buy for $100 that fixes it.

You can buy these trucks cheap and as long as you got a few grand cash you can put into it you can have one very reliable, high gas mileage and fun to drive truck.
          "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

I've got an early 04 which still has the 03 motor. I've got 190000 on stock headgaskets. I did replace the oil cooler and plug off the egr tho.
            Originally posted by soap
            i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

The 6.0 is problematic if you incorrectly diagnose and throw parts at it whenever there is a problem. The issues are well documented and easily diagnosed and repaired/prevented.

I would just drive the thing and address issues when they arise
              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
                Check delta between oil and water temp. If a large difference you have a clogged oil cooler.

Delete EGR. This can be easily done by welding up the ends of the EGR.

If your head gaskets aren't blown don't mess with them. My 03 6.0 has 200,000 miles on them and still on the OEM gaskets and I run a FICM and ECM tune.

Injectors have a problem with sticking(stictation) when cold. Can be patched with a good 5w/40 synthetic and rev-x or archoil. I'm to the point where mine need to just be replaced.

Up-pipe bellows tend to crack after high mileage.

Your fuel pressure spring most likely needs to be replaced with a new ford "blue" spring. Through on some 6.4 banjo bolts while you are at it.

Maintenance is key. These 6.0's don't like dirty oil.

The 03, although the most "problematic" with the help of the aftermarket is starting to become the favorite year.

The transmissions also are notorious for the 3-5 shift flare(4th is rarely ever used, these are 6 speed autos) There is a solenoid you can buy for $100 that fixes it.

You can buy these trucks cheap and as long as you got a few grand cash you can put into it you can have one very reliable, high gas mileage and fun to drive truck.
                damn you know your 6.o's

Comment

Thanks guys! After shopping for a week or so, I was wondering why the prices on the '03s were so much less compared to the other years. It's a very clean truck, just the XLT trim. I'm going over the look at it this weekend.

Comment

The early trucks have weaker high pressure pumps, straight oil rails, older interior layout, front leaf Springs, different wheel offset, etc.

An 03 would have to be an insane deal for me not to pass on it. They're good trucks, but I'd much rather have a later model.

Comment

Are the later model 6.0's any better, or do they share the same issues. Would a 7.3 be a better choice, or should I just suck it up and go for a 6.4 in a newer truck?

Comment

dollar for dollar the 6.0 is the best of the three in the grand scheme of things (can't believe I'm saying that!)

7.3's are fucking gutless and have a shit transmission

6.4's are fucking awesome, but not the best "first diesel" IMO

my preference for later 6.0's vs. early is mostly asthetics... the front bumper and headlights look a lot better. The interior layout is nicer. The radius arm suspension rides better, has a tighter turning radius, and allows you to run factory 20" wheels (I pretty much hate all aftermarket wheels... I think they look "cheap").

Everybody says the later trucks had the kinks worked out of the engine, but I feel like it was more the fact that technicians actually knew what they were doing with them after working on them for a few years.

Whatever you do, don't get on the powerstroke forums and let them scare you into pumping $7k into "bulletproofing" the thing. If you pay attention to what the truck is telling you, it's pretty rare for a 6.0 to leave you completely stranded without a LOT of warning ahead of time.

03's do have the best sounding turbo, but I'd still rather have a later truck and swap an '03 turbo on it vs. buying an '03

Comment

I would do one of the Mad turbo works stage one turbo if I ever swapped a turbo.

Right now I have a billet single stage wheel in my 03 turbo and it sings and spools retarded fast.

05 up trucks are a lot nicer inside and have a more modern front end. The 05 6.0's seem to be odd ducks on some things. Not as mod friendly.
                          "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

That will work, thanks! The '03 is being offered at $10k, with 121k miles. I"m sure I can get it cheaper, just wondering if it will be worth it in the end. Maybe I should just get an old Dodge and be done with it!

Comment

that MTW guy seems like a knucklehead... I don't care to be high and dry for weeks/months if there's a warranty issue.

That's part of my attraction to the 6.4's. They're friggin' hot rods on 100% factory parts. So if I need a part for either of my trucks, they're WIDELY available anywhere

Comment

Working...
                              X