How tall does my jack need to be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How tall does my jack need to be?

How tall does my jack/jack stands need to be to lift with the rear axle to change the rear lower control arms?

Just enough to work comfortably. The jack is just under the lower control arm (right under the spring) to relieve tension on the bolt to rear end and to control the spring from the compression. Undo the bolt, then SLOWLY use the jack to relieve and extend the spring.

Then use the jack again to compress the spring back with the new LCA.
    Scott Ganow
    Lone Star Performance
    16300 Midway Rd
    Addison, TX 75001
    214-630-5006

Comment

Originally posted by 00KBGT View Post
      Just enough to work comfortably. The jack is just under the lower control arm (right under the spring) to relieve tension on the bolt to rear end and to control the spring from the compression. Undo the bolt, then SLOWLY use the jack to relieve and extend the spring.

Then use the jack again to compress the spring back with the new LCA.
      Thanks, but I'm really looking for height suggestions. I don't know how tall of a jack I need to get the wheels off the ground. I'm looking at ordering a jack and stands and don't want to get something too short.

Comment

Standard 2 ton jack stands will work just fine. They're on sale right now at Harbor Freight for $20.00

Comment

If you're just talking about changing the lower control arms, any jack and jackstands will get the tires off the ground if you put it under the diff. Just jack it up from under the pumpkin, put the jackstands under the axle tubes, then use the jack under the control arm as mentioned before.
          Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
          Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Working...
          X