4X4 newb...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4X4 newb...

I'm new to the whole 4x4 thing so this may seem like a dumb question but I'm asking anyway so I don't mess anything up.

When I'm going along in 4wd is it ok to exceed 50mph? (yes, in 4H) The manual says not to engage if going more than 50 but it doesn't say anything about going faster than that once engaged.

TIA
    Originally posted by 56482
    only on DFWMUstangs...

4 H any speed is fine after it is engaged. They don't want you to engage faster then that because you may damage your transfer case and or front axle depending on the set up.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Yeah you can. But if you needed to be in 4wd do you really need to be?
      07 f250-family truckster
      08 Denali -baby hauler
      52 f1-rust bucket
      05 Jeep tj. Buggy
      livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
        I could see you being on a road needing 4x4 then coming to a long flat section of dirt-track where going over 50 would be reasonable. And if you have manual hubs, not wanting to stop, get out, etc. Or if doing a baja type event.

I would probably stop and go back to 2hi, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
          hard to get a good launch in 2wd, and it's not coming out of 4wd until you get off the throttle
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

it's more of a cautionary thing for me. I use it sometimes when it's wet. I was in a hydroplane accident earlier this year. (I understand you can still hydroplane in 4wd once you're up to speed but it's more of a during acceleration thing.)
            Originally posted by 56482
            only on DFWMUstangs...

Comment

Originally posted by suckerdin View Post
              it's more of a cautionary thing for me. I use it sometimes when it's wet. I was in a hydroplane accident earlier this year. (I understand you can still hydroplane in 4wd once you're up to speed but it's more of a during acceleration thing.)
              I've used the auto 4x4 in rain on mine during a first rain after a decent drought. Mainly for the neighborhood though. Keep from spinning from stop signs and such.

Comment

Originally posted by suckerdin View Post
                just remember 4x4 helps you accelerate in bad conditions, but it does not help you stop.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000 vert View Post
                  just remember 4x4 helps you accelerate in bad conditions, but it does not help you stop.
                  oh? Assuming that it isnt an awd/auto 4x4, then the front and rear are all moving at the same speed, regardless of traction. There have been many times in ice that I'll lock it in 4 wheel high because it helps with acceleration, and it also helps keep from locking up (or worse, not locking up but the rear slowing due to drivetrain but moving slower) and causing a spin.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by 2000 vert View Post
                    It does help with steering though since the front wheels can pull you through a turn.

Comment

Working...
                    X