What's wrong with my fox speedo - beyond "bounce"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with my fox speedo - beyond "bounce"

So we've all seen a fox speedo that bounces, yeah, this ain't my problem. My junk is like that problem if that problem was shooting meth directly into it's veins for breakfast lunch and dinner.

91GT - original cable was melted, bought a new ford speed sensor, cable, and 4.10 correction gear.

Put it all in yesterday, started the car up, 20mph indicated sitting still, shit, that's not good. Try driving the car and it tells you you're going somewhere between 0 and 140mph whenever the car is in motion. No rhyme or reason, no predictable pattern, just RAPID jumps up and down by the needle. I thought these things were mechanical, apparently not.

Tremec-3550 if that matters.

Been around these cars a long time and I've never seen this. Ideas???
    US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

interested too my bronco speedo just stopped working randomly.. sometimes on the way to work i will look down and notice that its roughly accurate, then 2 minutes later i look back down and its at 0 again.
    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

I am pretty sure your speedo is fucked. My fox did the same thing. Under the needle is a spring (think tensioner) that was broke. As soon as I let out the clutch the needle would go all the way round and come back up to the needle rest. I replaced the speedo and all was good.
      sigpic

Comment

teeth chewed up on the gear going into the trans?

Comment

Oil the cable. Sould fix the bouncing needle.
          Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
          90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Sounds like the cable is binding.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

My 57 cadillac is doing the same thing. The speedo is stripped out where the cable attaches.

Comment

time for a new cable and gear. I've had two Stangs do this to me and a new cable on both accounts remedied the problem.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
                --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hobie View Post
                  So we've all seen a fox speedo that bounces, yeah, this ain't my problem. My junk is like that problem if that problem was shooting meth directly into it's veins for breakfast lunch and dinner.

91GT - original cable was melted, bought a new ford speed sensor, cable, and 4.10 correction gear.

Put it all in yesterday, started the car up, 20mph indicated sitting still, shit, that's not good. Try driving the car and it tells you you're going somewhere between 0 and 140mph whenever the car is in motion. No rhyme or reason, no predictable pattern, just RAPID jumps up and down by the needle. I thought these things were mechanical, apparently not.

Tremec-3550 if that matters.

Been around these cars a long time and I've never seen this. Ideas???
                  Originally posted by BlueCoupeRedVert View Post
                  Oil the cable. Sould fix the bouncing needle.
                  Oil on the cable acts like an Archimedes Screw and eventually gets the oil into the cluster causing damage. You want the dry graphite if you have the typical bouncing speedometer. This problem is not the same. It's a fuckton worse.

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                  teeth chewed up on the gear going into the trans?
                  Oh that new gear I put in, yeah, it's new.

Originally posted by johnboy View Post
                  I am pretty sure your speedo is fucked. My fox did the same thing. Under the needle is a spring (think tensioner) that was broke. As soon as I let out the clutch the needle would go all the way round and come back up to the needle rest. I replaced the speedo and all was good.
                  Yeah, from my google-fu this is what I'm leaning towards as well.

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                  Sounds like the cable is binding.
                  If the cable was binding how could it read 20mph on the initial start-up?

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                  time for a new cable and gear. I've had two Stangs do this to me and a new cable on both accounts remedied the problem.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
                  So you want me to replace my new cable and gear with a new cable and gear??? Well I see you work for the government. So that explains that.

I love you guys, but right now y'all NGAs are killin' me.

Comment

Hmm. Do you have a different gauge cluster to swap out??
                    Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                    90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Look into replacing your speedo cluster. My black lx in highschool had the same issue. Swapped out the speedo cluster and the issue went away until i melted the speedo cable.

Comment

I've got a 140 speedo you can have for $20

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                          I've got a 140 speedo you can have for $20
                          PM sent, just let me know where to bring your money.

Comment

Working...
                          X