Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would 90psi on all cylinder for a 4cyl cause it not to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frank View Post
    This is what I was kinda thinking too that maybe some valve(s) are stuck open if it was left sitting.

if it is an interference motor more likely bent from the cam being off.

Comment

My guess would be timing. I would rule out valve problem due to the compression check. Valves opening and closing had to occur. It wouldn't hold 90psi otherwise. My 02 cents.

Comment

I took the oil pump out and re-positioned the drive gear to the correct place. The drive gear drives the oil pump and the dist. The flat drive part is offset so it will only fit one way. I then pulled the valve cover and ran the valves. There were 2 valves that were too tight. The adjustment bolt for the rockers were down as far as they could go and bottoming out on jam nut so I had to take the jam nut off and remove about .015 off it in order to have any adjustment. That was on the exhaust for cyl 1&3. Tried starting it and it would only run if the throttle was to the floor and then it only run about 700-800rpm. I tried adjusting the timing while I had the throttle open and it would only bog down. It got too dark so I didnt get a chance to do another comp test. Im not sure if the cam is aligned right or not. Iv got the manual but the marks are hard to see and even harder to judge while the engine is in the truck. My gut tells me that the cam is off a few teeth and thats whats causing the problem.

Comment

Working...
        X