Rear Main Seal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Main Seal ?

I have an oil leak coming from My 93 Mustang - It usually leaves a puddle right where the long tubes end..... Is there any way to confirm this is a rear main seal leak ( just an assumption on my part) ?

Anyone know the going rate to replace the rear main seal ?

You have to pull the tranny out, so it's a big job.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
      You have to pull the tranny out, so it's a big job.

Starter / Tranny / Clutch --

Would it behoove me to replace the clutch ( not knowing the current condition ) ?

Comment

Originally posted by HECDOGGIE View Post
        Starter / Tranny / Clutch --

Would it behoove me to replace the clutch ( not knowing the current condition ) ?

It's very possible that the clutch is ruined from the oil already, so I would plan on doing it at the same time. Also be a good time to drop in an aluminum flywheel and driveshaft.

Comment

Also be a good time to drop in an aluminum flywheel and driveshaft.
          Aluminum flywheel = $$$
          1991 5.0 Mustang LX-Hatch, BBK Cold Air Intake, BBK Headers, BBK X-Pipe, Flowmaster 40's, HPM C/C Plates, Cobra Sway-Bar, UPR Subframe Connectors, UPR Control Arms, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, FRPP "C" Springs, FRPP 31 Spine Diff, Moser 31 Spline Axles, FRPP 3:73 Gears, Tokico Blue Shocks, King Cobra Clutch, MSD Ignition, Taurus Electric Fan, BBK Gripp Shifter, & More

Comment

It's very possible that the clutch is ruined from the oil already, so I would plan on doing it at the same time. Also be a good time to drop in an aluminum flywheel and driveshaft.

Good Info ...

Im not in a huge hurry, Im just adding to the parts list. I purchased this car with the motor in pieces, not knowing if it ran. ( roller price $ )

I ran the car pretty hard yesterday, it seemed to leak pretty bad after that one run, I should go ahead and pull the motor. Start from scratch and rebuild.

Comment

For a street car this isn't really necessary, the cool part about them is the fact that they have replaceable friction surfaces, so when it comes time to do a clutch job, get your clutch then buy a steel from the flywheel manufacturer and you won't even have to unbolt the flywheel for resurfacing.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                For a street car this isn't really necessary, the cool part about them is the fact that they have replaceable friction surfaces, so when it comes time to do a clutch job, get your clutch then buy a steel from the flywheel manufacturer and you won't even have to unbolt the flywheel for resurfacing.
                I was about to ask what the benefits of an aluminum flywheel were ..Hopefully I dont have to go through multiple clutches.. I dont drag race.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                  Aluminum flywheel = $$$

So? How fast do you want to go?

Comment

It might not be the rear main. Check to see if its the oil level sensor on the oil pan. They have a tendency to leak from the center especially if the wires have been cut and it's not being used.

Comment

Originally posted by Venom View Post
                      It might not be the rear main. Check to see if its the oil level sensor on the oil pan. They have a tendency to leak from the center especially if the wires have been cut and it's not being used.

Thanks. I will check that .

IT seems the harder i pushed it, the more it leaked.

i "hope" its not the rear main seal..

Comment

I've always heard aluminum flywheels and drive shafts suck. Rear mains suck too tho. I did mine when I did my clutch. If ur comfortable dropping the tranny yourself, it's an easy way to save $500+. I think I was quoted around $700-$800 just to do the seal only. At that point, I opted to do it myself. :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Aluminum flywheel + stock 5.0 = less torque. It will rev faster though.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Donkey View Post
                            Also read somewhere that it takes a little more RPM's to get it going from a stop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Donkey View Post
                              Do you have anything to back that up or is that just internet hearsay?

Comment

Working...
                              X