No announcement yet.

Rear Main Seal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would also check the PCV to make sure it is not clogged. There are a lot of people who will mistake the PCV for a rear main. If it is not functioning properly it can cause a build up of pressure and leak down. It is located on the back side of the engine as well more towards the d/s. That is the cheapest and easiest fix. Just a thought, I would hate for you to have to do all that work and find out it is something as simple as a PCV. Good luck.

Comment

After compression test , found the back two cylinders at 45lbs - pulling the motor - thanks for all the help guys !

Comment

Originally posted by HECDOGGIE View Post
        After compression test , found the back two cylinders at 45lbs - pulling the motor - thanks for all the help guys !
        Well, at least it'll be easier to get to the rear main seal that way....

Comment

Originally posted by 90MarkVII View Post
          Check to make certain the rear gasket of the lower intake is not leaking. It also will run down and make you think it is the rear main.
          Originally posted by danielhv View Post
          Back side of valve cover gaskets too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
          X2, thought my leak was a rear main once it was the intake manifold rear gasket. Used UV die in the oil and a blacklight to confirm where the leak was coming from.

Comment

There are no ill side effects of an aluminum driveshaft.

I can understand the flywheel keeping rotating momentum before the clutch. After that lose all the mass you can.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

A buddy of mine put an aluminum flywheel in his Fox coupe and it slowed the car down at the track.

I was talking to another guy that is friends with a buddy of mine about a car that he had bought. The previous owner could get the car to go 7.40's and after he swapped the flywheel out with an aluminum one, it wouldn't go faster than 7.80's.

No hearsay, just simple seen-it-with-my-own-eyes facts.

Comment

No performance car uses aluminum for a flywheel....

Comment

I was lucky enough to get a Billet Steel Flywheel and a Ram Powergrip clutch with my new bottom end deal ! ( and an electric fan, new dist and wires)

So, all that will be changed and i will have a spare bottom end and heads, i will probably rebuild the 302 i have now for when i need it next time.. just beef it up a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                    I've personally run a lot of aluminum driveshafts and aluminum fly
                    It turns out there is a compromise! You can go lighter than factory with billet but too light and you start to lose.

Originally posted by Primedlx View Post
                    I would also check the PCV to make sure it is not clogged.
                    And dont forget that little screen down there below that pcv. I have seen that be the cause before. That little screen can get caked up
                    WH

Comment

Working...
                    X