Need some guidance - wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some guidance - wiring

Been putting this off for a long time.....

Mostly talking about aftermarket components, over the years i have added aftermarket ignition, nitrous system (purge, heater, etc), gauges, fuel pumps , etc.

Now i have wires going everywhere and it looks like complete shit. also, its not done correctly.

I'd like to put everything on something like this

my goal is to rewire the car and make it look nice, and also to clean up the factory wiring and get rid of anything that's not needed. The motor is out of the car, so easy access to everything.

You guys know of anyone who can rewire my car the RIGHT way ? I'll take it somewhere if needed, but would prefer someone come to my house and do it, i can learn a thing or two and help out. $$$$$

thank in advance. i fucking hate wiring, it makes my head hurt, but it's gotta happen.
    Vortex rear stand $75
    8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
    My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
    but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
    11 4 door
    13 FX2 White 5.0

Good luck! I've seen several "professionally" wired cars and their owners are rarely happy. In my opinion this is one of the places you really want to do it yourself. You'll be the one stranded at the end of the track when it blows a fuse, that pro installer won't come running to help.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
      Good luck! I've seen several "professionally" wired cars and their owners are rarely happy. In my opinion this is one of the places you really want to do it yourself. You'll be the one stranded at the end of the track when it blows a fuse, that pro installer won't come running to help.
      Ditto. I have done more than my share of repairs on other shops "wiring". Granted, mine isn't always the best looking, but if it's hidden under carpets or dash, it doesn't make much difference. Also, if something does go wrong, trying to chase down someone else's work is a PITA.

BTW, I have a Painless 8 circuit harness, #10307 brand new in the box. Only missing the small blister pack of terminals which you can buy at Autozone pretty cheap. $200 plus shipping. Goes for just over $300 at Summit. Hit me up if you are interested.

Comment

Wiring with proper connections/disconnects, loom, heatshrink, cutting everything to just the right length, assembling the connectors, etc is tedious and time consuming. I know what I'm doing and just spent 17 hours wiring a stereo on a Harley. I would not want anyone doing the wiring on my car because I know most people don't give a shit and, in the technicians defense, most customers are not willing to pay for the level of work enthusiasts/anal mofos expect. Plus, most technicians will not want "help" since they will be too busy thinking about the wiring.

Comment

I'm fine with not helping and willing to pay ! But I hear what you guys are saying. it just seems like a massive undertaking to rewire all the electronics, probably because i don't know the correct way and what the good connectors are and such.

I know I need a good set of crimpers. anyone know of a good place to buy all the connectors and shrink ?
          Vortex rear stand $75
          8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
          but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

11 4 door
          13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Txstang1 View Post
            I'm fine with not helping and willing to pay ! But I hear what you guys are saying. it just seems like a massive undertaking to rewire all the electronics, probably because i don't know the correct way and what the good connectors are and such.

I know I need a good set of crimpers. anyone know of a good place to buy all the connectors and shrink ?
            RadioShack carries the good stuff, so does oreilly and Napa. Autozone stuff can be cheap and stay away from harbor freight.

Its best to learn how to solder joints instead of crimp. If you don't have to take something apart later, solder it all and heat shrink. Read up on the internet, youtube and painless probably has how-to's on their site. Use it as a learning experience, buy better parts and have a product you know in and out when you are done! It's not that hard once you learn the basics and take your time.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
              RadioShack carries the good stuff, so does oreilly and Napa. Autozone stuff can be cheap and stay away from harbor freight.

Its best to learn how to solder joints instead of crimp. If you don't have to take something apart later, solder it all and heat shrink. Read up on the internet, youtube and painless probably has how-to's on their site. Use it as a learning experience, buy better parts and have a product you know in and out when you are done! It's not that hard once you learn the basics and take your time.
              thanks , i will do some googling !
              Vortex rear stand $75
              8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**

11 4 door
              13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Use this terminal block.

Wire stuff EXACTLY how these guys tell you to do it.

Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I am a fan of this guys writing and work.
                  [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Wiring-Electrical-Systems-Workbench/dp/1932494871/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378787840&sr=8-1&keywords=tony+candela[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Electrical-Performance-Projects-Design/dp/1934709557/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378787840&sr=8-2&keywords=tony+candela[/ame]

He has a couple videos on youtube also that show the benifits of doing things right such as using large enough cable to carry the load the distance you need.

I would not buy any of my electrical wiring components from a Jegs/Sumitt. You are paying for too many levels of distribution. There are plenty of better options out there available to you. I also would not use that Painless fuse block. That is $20 worth of material in a $80 package. I would use something like this first. Although I am not a fan of spade connectors. Would much rather have ring terminals. But you can search and find what you need.

More junction block options. here
                  VTE Warehouse, offering Low Cost, High Quality Battery Terminals, Terminal Insulators, Terminal Connectors and Electro-Mechanical Connectors for Universal Applications.

I am by far no expert on this shit but I have read a book or two and built my own EFI harnesses from scratch to name a few.........a few times over.
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                    Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                    I am a fan of this guys writing and work.

He has a couple videos on youtube also that show the benifits of doing things right such as using large enough cable to carry the load the distance you need.

I would not buy any of my electrical wiring components from a Jegs/Sumitt. You are paying for too many levels of distribution. There are plenty of better options out there available to you. I also would not use that Painless fuse block. That is $20 worth of material in a $80 package. I would use something like this first. Although I am not a fan of spade connectors. Would much rather have ring terminals. But you can search and find what you need.

More junction block options. here
                    WWW.vtewarehouse.com

I am by far no expert on this shit but I have read a book or two and built my own EFI harnesses from scratch to name a few.........a few times over.
                    thanks ya'll, lots of good info. A game plan is starting to form !!!
                    Vortex rear stand $75
                    8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**

11 4 door
                    13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Lowes carries the Greenlee brand of electrical tools, they aren't cheap but they are nice. In fact my big crimpers look and feel exactly like the Snap On ones they replaced.

Comment

pm sent...

Comment

Originally posted by fitzwell View Post
                          pm sent...
                          You should do what this guy says.

Comment

This is probably as good a place as any. What is a good source for bulk wire and connectors. I have seen web addresses posted a time or two

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                              This is probably as good a place as any. What is a good source for bulk wire and connectors. I have seen web addresses posted a time or two

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
                              I have found good deals on TXL wire on Ebay. Solid colors and striped colors too. I think the seller's name was WireBarn.

www.racetronix.com - various electrical stuff, kind of spendy
                              www.eficonnection.com - middle of the road prices, lots of odd hard to find stuff here
                              www.rjminjection.com - a must for any Ford connector or pins
                              www.vtewarehouse.com - great for good quality, low cost hardware
                              www.leashelectronics.com - their relay boards/boxes can come in handy

What kind of connectors are you looking for?

http://www.laddinc.com/our-products/online-catalog.html - call them, they will sell to cash customers. The Duetsch connector is perfect for weather-tight and a clean professional look.

I have even bought sheilded wire from aircraft supply stores. Google/Yahoo searches have taken me to a lot of sources that I cannot remember their names.
                              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                              X