Fabricating some stuff, looking for advise and metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabricating some stuff, looking for advise and metal

I wanna notch the towers on my Torino and make new cross members (under the engine and maybe a new trans) too, so I need the appropriate metal to try and fabricate this.

I estimate I need about 2 square feet of flat sheet for the notches, and maybe a square foot of something thicker for end plates of the cross members. Also need a few feet of round tube for the cross members.

So, where's a good place to get this stuff?

Also, I have a decent (for me) welder, lincoln 140, but only set up for flux right now. I also have a pretty decent powermaster 45 (?) plasma cutter that I got on trade and have never used.

What a tower notch looks like on an old shock tower Ford for those that don't know.

The best representation I can find of the under engine crossmember I want to build, only I'm planning on something more robust with thick end plates and triangulated round tube as the cross memeber. Wont let me grab an image location...

It bolts in so I can drop the pan if need be in the future.
    1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

I always picked up my materials at Garland Steel. I prefer to use gas when welding but the Flux core will will probably work. I have found Flux core is ok on the thick steel but once you go 18 ga or thinner it becomes a problem.
    1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
    TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
    Work In Progress

Comment

Metal supermarket will have everything you need and more. They're out here near Irving blvd. look them up.

Comment

I used the flux to weld a crack on the floor board and on the lowest setting it was about to blow through it. But this stuff should be significantly thicker so I think it should be fine.

Should I try to use the plasma cutter on this stuff or a angle grinder?
        1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Plasma is easier, angle grinder usually makes more precise cuts (depending on how much practice you have with the plasma.) If the angle grinder fits use it, if not go with the plasma.

sigpic
          Work In Progress

Comment

Metals4U off of Harry Hines.

Gas weld a shock tower ???? Really should be electric welded, better peneration and a lot less trash in the weld.

You can't convert to gas from flux core on the welder. Gas is sooo much cleaner and faster

.http://metals4u.com/

How thick are you looking for ?? I might have a scrap peice of something around here.
            Last edited by Kart21; 09-03-2013, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21 View Post
              Metals4U off of Harry Hines.

Gas weld a shock tower ???? Really should be electric welded, better peneration and a lot less trash in the weld.

You can't convert to gas from flux core on the welder. Gas is sooo much cleaner and faster

.http://http://metals4u.com/

How thick are you looking for ?? I might have a scrap peice of something around here.
              I think you are confused. We are talking gas shielded welding with a MIG vs fluxcore. And many welders CAN convert back and forth between the two methods.

sigpic
              Work In Progress

Comment

Originally posted by lowfast View Post
                I think you are confused. We are talking gas shielded welding with a MIG vs fluxcore. And many welders CAN convert back and forth between the two methods.
                Yep, you are right. I assumed that it was oxy/ac welding. My fault. When I hear gas welding.....

Comment

Man, no way in hell I'd do that with flux. You will make a huge mess and will not like the results. Spend the extra few bucks and get a gas kit and some .023" wire - you will be much happier and a lot less grinding/cleanup.

Comment

Where in the area are you located?
                    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                      Man, no way in hell I'd do that with flux. You will make a huge mess and will not like the results. Spend the extra few bucks and get a gas kit and some .023" wire - you will be much happier and a lot less grinding/cleanup.
                      X2 gas FTMFW!
                      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Working...
                      X