Car Over Heating Part 2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Over Heating Part 2!

Since replacing the thermostat still having overheating issues, and it is a fan problem I can't figure out?

1)When I start the car and turn on the a/c to max and then to Hi the fan comes on.

2)When idling once the car hits 198 degrees (coolant temp) the fan kicks on. The Low-Speed Fan is set at 198 degrees and the Hi-Speed is set to 204 degrees.

3)Then with the A/C on for a bit the fan then stops thus overheating begins. The Lo-Speed fan will come back on only after the a/c has been turned off for a bit.

Also, I'm not sure if the Hi-Speed fan is coming on at all?

I'm going with the cooling fan relay.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
      I'm going with the cooling fan relay.
      I checked both hi-speed & Lo-speed relays in the fuse box and they seem to be working fine. Both click when power is supplied and showed continuity.

I do though have quite a bit of water in multiple areas under my car from the a/c.

Comment

Originally posted by bjtheman1 View Post
        I checked both hi-speed & Lo-speed relays in the fuse box and they seem to be working fine. Both click when power is supplied and showed continuity.

I do though have quite a bit of water in multiple areas under my car from the a/c.
        I was having intermittent fuel pump issues with a nissan altima I had checked the relay and it tested good, so I changed the pump. The new one was having the same problem. Turned out that the relay would get hot, but stay engaged as long as the engine was running, after I killed it, it wouldn't engage again and my fuel pump got no power.

If it's not the relay, I would start looking for ground wire issues along the fan circuit.

Comment

Took it for a drive today while datalogging. With the a/c off my coolant temps stayed under 198 degrees which is what the Lo-speed fan is set for, so I know it's working. Then I turned the a/c on and shortly after it started blowing warm air and my temps started increasing over 200 degrees. Once it hit 205 I checked and the fan was not running, so the Hi-speed fan is not coming on.

Why is it when the a/c is turned on all this happens? Fuk it's hot!

Comment

Took it for a drive today while datalogging. With the a/c off my coolant temps stayed under 198 degrees which is what the Lo-speed fan is set for, so I know it's working. Then I turned the a/c on and shortly after it started blowing warm air and my temps started increasing over 200 degrees. Once it hit 205 I checked and the fan was not running, so the Hi-speed fan is not coming on.

Why is it when the a/c is turned on all this happens? Fuk it's hot!
            Do you have a custom tune that might be screwed up? When the A/C is commanded on, the low speed fan should be on constantly. If that isn't happening, then it could be a PCM issue.

Comment

[QUOTE=JC316;1142832]Do you have a custom tune that might be screwed up? When the A/C is commanded on, the low speed fan should be on constantly. If that isn't happening, then it could be a PCM issue.

Yes, I've had a Custom tune for years now so I don't believe it should be causing this. Also, the fan does come on when I turn the a/c on

Comment

[quote=bjtheman1;1142846]
                Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                Do you have a custom tune that might be screwed up? When the A/C is commanded on, the low speed fan should be on constantly. If that isn't happening, then it could be a PCM issue.

Yes, I've had a Custom tune for years now so I don't believe it should be causing this. Also, the fan does come on when I turn the a/c on
                Ok, when it starts blowing hot air, is the A/C compressor still turning? If not, the pressure combo switch may be going bad and interfering with the fan operation.

Comment

Sounds like a possible bad relay for the high speed fan

Comment

Refresh us, what year is it? If it uses a CCRM it may be bad. The high speed fan should come on with the A/C compressor or temp regulated as you know through the ECU.
                    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                      Refresh us, what year is it? If it uses a CCRM it may be bad. The high speed fan should come on with the A/C compressor or temp regulated as you know through the ECU.
                      Pretty sure it's his 07, which doesn't use the CCRM. It does have some type of control box, but I don't know if it can cause those problems.

Comment

Well, damnit! Hi-speed fan still doesn't come on. I was datalogging today and some of my parameters was both fans. When each one would come on it'd show on my screen. What is odd the hi-speed fan on my data-log screen showed on but it wasn't running????? The Lo-speed worked fine though.

Comment

Well, damnit! Hi-speed fan still doesn't come on. I was datalogging today and some of my parameters was both fans. When each one would come on it'd show on my screen. What is odd the hi-speed fan on my data-log screen showed on but it wasn't running????? The Lo-speed worked fine though.
                          Have you tried changing the cooling fan itself? Could be something internal thats heating up. This might be a case of occams razor.

Comment

Something else I just noticed reviewing my data-logs....when the low-speed fan comes on the a/c compressor does, but when it showed the hi-speed fan on (when it wasn't) the a/c compressor did not come on???

Comment

[quote=JC316;1142863]

Ok, when it starts blowing hot air, is the A/C compressor still turning? If not, the pressure combo switch may be going bad and interfering with the fan operation.
                              I think you might be right, since I now know the a/c compressor doesn't come on with the hi-speed fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X