Missing key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing key

So whats all involved in getting a key to start a 01 mustang...

Just got a deal on it....but they lost the key....should be getting title this week on it.

Doesnt this have the pats system crap on it?
    Your local VW parts Master.....need a part?

Take the vin to a dealer and have them cut you one and program it
    07 f250-family truckster
    08 Denali -baby hauler
    52 f1-rust bucket
    05 Jeep tj. Buggy
    livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
      Take the vin to a dealer and have them cut you one and program it
      Dealer only goes back 10 years, you will have to take it to a locksmith to have a key made. Just went through this on a Taurus. Remove the drivers door lock tumbler assm and take it to the locksmith. They will make you a key, ensure it will turn the ignition switch on, this will set a theft code since it should have PATS, then the locksmith will have to program you a PATS key or 2.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
        Dealer only goes back 10 years, you will have to take it to a locksmith to have a key made. Just went through this on a Taurus. Remove the drivers door lock tumbler assm and take it to the locksmith. They will make you a key, ensure it will turn the ignition switch on, this will set a theft code since it should have PATS, then the locksmith will have to program you a PATS key or 2.
        May vary by dealer. I had a key cut for my 94 gmc about 3 years ago at a dealer when I lost mine.
        07 f250-family truckster
        08 Denali -baby hauler
        52 f1-rust bucket
        05 Jeep tj. Buggy
        livin the double-wide dream

Comment

I'm pretty sure you had a lazy dealer.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
            I'm very sure
            http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

keys

Just a door lock won't get it only 6 of 8 tumblers in the door lock. It will get you in the ballpark though. Once you have a door key that will narrow your possibilities to 1-5 choices,so if your not far from said locksmith you can end up with a mech key in 1-5 trips............... or if your around here you can pm me.
              Going through a locksmith during the day is usually 125-165 w/2 keys programmed.

You'll have to tow it to the dealer to have it programmed

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
                May vary by dealer. I had a key cut for my 94 gmc about 3 years ago at a dealer when I lost mine.
                Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                I'm very sure
                May be the dealers in my general area I guess. We've tried Kia, Dodge, and Ford all in the last 6-9 months and 10 years was about it. It's been quiet a wile since I've had to have a GM key made. I've known most of the parts guys 5-10 years probably.

Comment

My buddy just got one from the dealer for a 96 Honda.

Comment

May be the dealers in my general area I guess. We've tried Kia, Dodge, and Ford all in the last 6-9 months and 10 years was about it. It's been quiet a wile since I've had to have a GM key made. I've known most of the parts guys 5-10 years probably.
                    It may have to do with dealers being very picky about when they will cut them off VIN. Back in my dealership days, we would turn away a lot of people that didnt have all the paperwork the bigwigs told us to verify before cutting keys. There is a lot of liability involved in cutting a key and the car coming up stolen.

When I worked at (then) Don Davis Toyota, we would get a ton of people from the water park next door that lost the keys in the park and would walk over to see if we could help. usually they wouldn't have anything to prove ownership, no id, etc, becuase they locked it in the trunk. Tough calls had to be made sometimes. When they are standing there in a dripping wet swim suit we tried our best to get whatever we could to get them helped out.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I thought you were missing one of these LOL
                      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Correction its a 00 mustang.... Guess ill give my local dealer a call....really sucks having to deal with the pats system on this but guess i got to.

Comment

It may have to do with dealers being very picky about when they will cut them off VIN. Back in my dealership days, we would turn away a lot of people that didnt have all the paperwork the bigwigs told us to verify before cutting keys. There is a lot of liability involved in cutting a key and the car coming up stolen.

When I worked at (then) Don Davis Toyota, we would get a ton of people from the water park next door that lost the keys in the park and would walk over to see if we could help. usually they wouldn't have anything to prove ownership, no id, etc, becuase they locked it in the trunk. Tough calls had to be made sometimes. When they are standing there in a dripping wet swim suit we tried our best to get whatever we could to get them helped out.
                          I know the theft and liability part plays a big role in it for sure. It's a small town I'm in and the local dealers know we as a business have been around since the 60's, they will usually work with us on anything they can. I had to call a Honda dealer in California one evening because they were still open and all the locals had closed for the day. I pulled a radio doing some repairs and needed a security code. They wouldn't work with me so I waited until the following morning, called my local guys, and finished the job up.

Comment

After you get 2 unique programmed keys you can order a couple more from amazon $10, walmart will cut them free and you can program them using the 2 already programmed keys
                            the 2 originals must be unique a copied program will not work
                            walmart would not guarantee a free cut but it was free so no big

$10 for 2 extra backup keys,
                            if you only have 2 keys and loose one then back to square one of paying someone to program the second key

Comment

kinda sucks.... free mustang just need keys, programming, towing....and it may run....unsure....thinking about cutting ties on it..but let me see what the dealer says in the morning....hoping since i work at a dealership i can get one easily.

Comment

Working...
                              X