oil pressure drops after warm up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pressure drops after warm up

got a motor that a guy races, nothing special has mechanical guages. Oil pressure is at 40 when he cranks it up and as it idles it drops to 0. What could cause it and what should be checked?

Originally posted by Blue88Coupe View Post
    got a motor that a guy races, nothing special has mechanical guages. Oil pressure is at 40 when he cranks it up and as it idles it drops to 0. What could cause it and what should be checked?
    ford/chevy/Dodge? what generation of motor. 4.6 2V/LS1/olds 454 from the 60's???
    mods?
    sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
    🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Something expanding and losing seal? A cracked block?

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Bearing clearances are too loose for that thin of oil. Tell him to put a thicker oil in. Also what oil pump?

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
          ford/chevy/Dodge? what generation of motor. 4.6 2V/LS1/olds 454 from the 60's???
          mods?
          a chevy 350 i think. pre lt1 motor

Comment

thicker oil needed or rod bearings are going out.

does it rattle when warm under light rpm?

Comment

Originally posted by 034V View Post
              thicker oil needed or rod bearings are going out.

does it rattle when warm under light rpm?
              yep he says he's got a little rattle in there, not a knock though.

Comment

He also says he's running rotella but didnt say the specific weight

Comment

If it had no oil psi it wouldn't last long. Maybe the gauge or ending unit is bad

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                    If it had no oil psi it wouldn't last long. Maybe the gauge or ending unit is bad
                    I'd check with another gauge like said here. If it still exhibits the issue, shut it down and rebuild it. If he's already running 15-40, it's not good. Another question, is this a flat tappet or a roller motor?

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                      I'd check with another gauge like said here. If it still exhibits the issue, shut it down and rebuild it. If he's already running 15-40, it's not good. Another question, is this a flat tappet or a roller motor?
                      Dunno of its flat or roller. He said it was fine untill the last time he took it down the track then it started the rattle and oil issue

Comment

Originally posted by Blue88Coupe View Post
                        Dunno of its flat or roller. He said it was fine untill the last time he took it down the track then it started the rattle and oil issue
                        Probably a flat tappet, in which case, they do not like todays oils. You need to find something with plenty of zinc to help keep the cam alive, but if he was running it hard when it took a shit, he may have spun a bearing. Have him drop the pan and check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                          Probably a flat tappet, in which case, they do not like todays oils. You need to find something with plenty of zinc to help keep the cam alive, but if he was running it hard when it took a shit, he may have spun a bearing. Have him drop the pan and check it out.
                          The Mobil Super Hi mileage is the easiest oil to get that still has zinc in it. I had a old dodge engineer tell me that. He said that's all he would use in a SRT-4 trans now days.

Comment

Originally posted by 4eyedwillie View Post
                            The Mobil Super Hi mileage is the easiest oil to get that still has zinc in it. I had a old dodge engineer tell me that. He said that's all he would use in a SRT-4 trans now days.
                            Do research into oils.

Comment

I have never had oil pressure go to 0 but it was pretty damn close,oil pressure was great when it was cold and got worse with temp, I ran VR1 20/50.
                              Come to find out the pick up tube had fallen off.

Comment

Working...
                              X