Coolant additives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant additives?

Has anyone had any luck with coolant additives bring down your operating temps. My 68 Cougar with iron headed small block and healthy solid lifter cam tends to run hot (210 - 220), and that is without the AC on. Waterpump and thermostat are new, and the radiator got a clean bill of health last summer from my local radiator shop. I also have the larger radiator the FE cars used with a fan shroud. I am using an aftermarket temp gauge for temp readings, the sensor is in the intake.

I run Engine Ice in my dirtbike and it's made a considerable difference over Antifreeze and water when riding in the woods and low airflow conditions. It's a coolant replacement, not an additive though. I have also used Water Wetter and a bright green additive, Oreilly's sells, like water wetter with positive results in my cars.

Comment

Water wetter (SP?) Lowered my 240 by about 5-7 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
        Has anyone had any luck with coolant additives bring down your operating temps. My 68 Cougar with iron headed small block and healthy solid lifter cam tends to run hot (210 - 220), and that is without the AC on. Waterpump and thermostat are new, and the radiator got a clean bill of health last summer from my local radiator shop. I also have the larger radiator the FE cars used with a fan shroud. I am using an aftermarket temp gauge for temp readings, the sensor is in the intake.
        What temp thermostat? If its a 195, it isn't helping. It should be a 180, and on some vehicles, going to a 160 helps.

Is the issue at idle or all the time? A smaller water pump pulley should help.

Also, you can add a deflector under the radiator to add the the low pressure on the engine side, to help air thru the radiator at highway speeds.

I looked, but can't find the article with a good diagram.

Also check the pressure of the cap, and you can go to a slightly higher one.
        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
        86 SVO - Sold
        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
          What temp thermostat? If its a 195, it isn't helping. It should be a 180, and on some vehicles, going to a 160 helps.

Is the issue at idle or all the time? A smaller water pump pulley should help.

Also, you can add a deflector under the radiator to add the the low pressure on the engine side, to help air thru the radiator at highway speeds.

I looked, but can't find the article with a good diagram.

Also check the pressure of the cap, and you can go to a slightly higher one.
          Thermostat is 180, the cap is newer but is cheap enough to replace for shits n giggles. It does ok at idle, cruising it will creep up to 200, and higher temps on the highway but that is because my cruise rpms's are way up there due to no overdrive currently, the T5 install is coming soon.

shumpertdavid is the engine ice available locally or online?

Comment

Thermostat is 180, the cap is newer but is cheap enough to replace for shits n giggles. It does ok at idle, cruising it will creep up to 200, and higher temps on the highway but that is because my cruise rpms's are way up there due to no overdrive currently, the T5 install is coming soon.

shumpertdavid is the engine ice available locally or online?
            How much antifreeze are you running... Antifreeze doesn't help with cooling compared to water. May want to adjust your ratio since it doesn't really get all that cold down here.

Comment

Originally posted by jakesford View Post
              How much antifreeze are you running... Antifreeze doesn't help with cooling compared to water. May want to adjust your ratio since it doesn't really get all that cold down here.
              50/50. I think I will change that too. What is a better ratio? This car is garage kept non daily driver so the chances of driving during below freezing are slim and none.

Comment

50/50. I think I will change that too. What is a better ratio? This car is garage kept non daily driver so the chances of driving during below freezing are slim and none.
                You don't want to go to low, antifreeze also helps to raise the boiling temp and provides corrosion resistance. May drop it down to 30-40% with some watter wetter and see how it goes. Use distilled water to avoid the minerals.

Comment

Ditch the antifreeze all together if it's in the garage. Run straight water and 1 bottle of water wetter. It has the anti corrosion additives in it. Solved my high temp problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
                    Ditch the antifreeze all together if it's in the garage. Run straight water and 1 bottle of water wetter. It has the anti corrosion additives in it. Solved my high temp problems.

What temps before and after?

Comment

225 before, 210 after.

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post

Exactly. I run straight distilled water and Water Wetter. Never had the temp over about 210, and that was on a 100+ degree day on the track running the piss out of the car.

Comment

Another vote for water wetter
                          2014 GT
                          2013 FX2 ecoboost

Comment

Think I'll try the water wetter. It was actually easier to find than distilled water, the first two stores I went to were sold out of it. The third I went to only had those huge jugs with the spout on the end.

Comment

Think I'll try the water wetter. It was actually easier to find than distilled water, the first two stores I went to were sold out of it. The third I went to only had those huge jugs with the spout on the end.
                              You can get distilled water by the gallon at any walmart.

That being said, I wouldn't run a water only setup in a street car, water wetter or not. Now, if you're going to drain it before it freezes, then fine, but I think it's a bit too much of a risk.

If you're having cooling problems I'd start elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X