Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows Old Body Style Suburbans?

'97 3/4 ton, 4x4, 7.4L

We just picked this up last week for next to nothing. Thought about flipping it but I think we're gonna just keep it for an extra toy hauler. It runs great, a/c works. New tires and shocks...

Just has a couple minor things I am wanting to fix on it. Nothing major that affects its driveability but still would like to get it working right.

First the truck has push button 4wd and it doesn't want to engage. When you press the 4HI or 4LO buttons the lights just blink but the transfer case won't engage.

Second the A/C blows hard but it seems like it doesn't make its way out of the dash vents very hard. Like it's being diverted somewhere else behind the dash. Maybe a stuck blend door or something.

Last thing that is annoying is the radio is missing the volume and tuning knobs so I actually have to turn it with two fingers instead of being able to just roll it up or down with my pinky while leaving my hand resting on the shifter LOL Where can I pick up these knobs for cheap?
    --Marcus

The transfer case might need a motor. There are vids on YouTube on how to replace it. Not too expensive.
    You will need a case saver for the np246 sooner or later. Do it before it runs all the fluid out you can avoid replacing other parts. Your call, but the pump WILL wear a hole in the case, just a matter of time(miles).

Depending on mileage injectors have been known to leak. I put in a set from 50motorsports and it cures the long crank, dropped in a cap and rotor and a set of plugs while I had the intake apart.
    Distributor is plastic so it wears out. Another just a matter of time(miles).

I love ours . It has near 200k miles. Mileage ain't great but I've gotten 15mpg loaded up on a tank or two on highway trips. Drops to single digits pulling the big trailer but it pulls it well enough for me.

I've put brakes on the front a couple times. And tires. And of course changed the oil n filter.
    Last edited by TexasT; 08-23-2013, 11:21 AM.
    Rich

Comment

The front axle actuators were garbage on those, there is an updated part that converts it to a solenoid. Really easy to do.

As for the A/C it's probably something holding the blend door open.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
        The front axle actuators were garbage on those, there is an updated part that converts it to a solenoid. Really easy to do.

As for the A/C it's probably something holding the blend door open.
        Are those parts available aftermarket or is that something you think I could still pick up at the dealer?
        --Marcus

Comment

I must real old if your calling that old body style . Nice ride though ..

Comment

Originally posted by mystic96 View Post
            Are those parts available aftermarket or is that something you think I could still pick up at the dealer?
            I'm sure Autozone can probably get it.

Comment

Originally posted by SOLOW55 View Post
              That's what I was thinking. That would be a 9th gen Suburban there.
              Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
              Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Originally posted by SOLOW55 View Post
                Aaahhhh! The good "old" days

Comment

Thatr definitely not an old body style Suburban, looks good!

Comment

Yep...this is "old body style" to me...

Comment

Can you find a bigger picture?

Comment

Shit, I learned to drive a stick shift in an ex department of interior mining 79 sub2500 4x4 similar to this one:

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Per most gm full size forums

73-87. Old old body style, oobs
                          88-98. Old body style, obs
                          99-07.5. New body style, nbs
                          07-13. New new body style, nnbs
                          07 f250-family truckster
                          08 Denali -baby hauler
                          52 f1-rust bucket
                          05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                          livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                            Can you find a bigger picture?
                            I don't have to scroll left/right to see all of it. I think it's fucking PERFECT.

..I did look, but quickly lost interest.

Comment

I'd love to have an old old body style with a Duramax swap. Maybe one day.
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                              X