No announcement yet.

AC Question - Top Off or Flush & Fill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Question - Top Off or Flush & Fill?

My daily is a 01 Accord, it runs like a clock but the AC is getting a little weak. Everything works, but it's blowing an 8 now instead of a 10.

I suspect it needs recharged, it never has been serviced. My question is, should I buy a kit and top it off myself, or have all the existing freon removed and all new added? I've heard mixed reviews on just topping it off.

If I should have it drained and recharged, what's ballpark I should expect to pay for that?
    Last edited by UserX; 08-18-2013, 04:52 PM.

Sounds like a slow leak to me. If everything is working properly, you should never have to top of or drain and recharge an a/c system

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
      Sounds like a slow leak to me. If everything is working properly, you should never have to top of or drain and recharge an a/c system
      Understood. But if it lasts 13 years, and leaks that slowly, I'm ok with not finding the leak and just recharging.

Comment

Then it's not understood?

Find the leak.... Save yourself time and money. Do it right the first time.

Comment

Take it to a shop that can recover the existing refrigerant, the recovery machine will measure the amount it pulls out. Then you will know exactly how low the system was or wasn't. Have them add a uv dye to system to help locate any leaks or future leaks. DO NOT USE ANY FORM OF A STOP LEAK OR SEALANT PERIOD. Stay away from suicide hoses and guys with a can tap and set of gauges. The charge amount in most newer cars is pretty small compared to older standards, there is no accurate way to guess the charge amount coming out of the can.

Comment

Working...
          X